EBSCO Sources

1. The Real Cost of Your Blue Jeans.

Thomas, Dana. “The Real Cost of Your Blue Jeans.” Newsweek Global, vol. 173, no. 8, Sept. 2019, pp. 40–44. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=138428910&site=ehost-live.

This review describes the shift in production from the jeans of the past to jeans of the present. It explains that current processes in producing jeans make them one of the least sustainable clothing products. This is because jeans production wastes huge amounts of water, and creating ripped jeans is extremely dangerous to the health of textile workers. 

2. Fast Fashion, the Remix.

Hamilton, Anita. “Fast Fashion, the Remix.” TIME Magazine, vol. 169, no. 24, June 2007, pp. 85–87. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=25272424&site=ehost-live.

This short periodical describes the upwards trend of secondhand shopping. Second hand stores have become extremely popular in the wake of fast fashion stores such as H&M and Forever 21. It describes how second hand stores make a profit while still selling cheap clothing.

3. The global environmental injustice of fast fashion.

Bick, Rachel, et al. “The Global Environmental Injustice of Fast Fashion.” Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source, vol. 17, no. 1, Dec. 2018, p. N.PAG. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1186/s12940-018-0433-7.

This review explains why fast fashion is a serious issue. It describes the lack of sustainability, the variety of health hazards to textile workers, environmental impact, and the extreme amounts of waste involved with fast fashion. The authors frame fast fashion as an issue of social justice.