There are many pros and cons about lowering the legal drinking age to 18 in the USA.  Those who are for lowering the drinking age have very good points. One major topic that they bring up is that “when you turn 18, you are an adult and can make your own decisions.” Another huge pro about lowering the drinking age is that many teenagers drive drunk because they do not want to get in trouble from their parents. If the drinking age was lowered, they could either stay where they are or have other alternatives instead of driving drunk. This reduces the amount of deaths associated with drunk driving. Teenagers consume alcohol no matter what the law states,so having the age be lowered would at least make it legal for them to do so. 

There is a whole other side to this argument. Those who are against lowering the age to 18 also make good points for the drinkers health. The biggest con is that people who are 18 have not developed their brain fully. “Consuming alcohol before the brain develops can mess up the development of the frontal lobe which can lead to addiction, depression, and suicide.” This huge con has been what outweighs all the pros. Another huge con is the idea of sexual assault. This happens everywhere, especially while intoxicated. Having the drinking age be 21 decreases the chances of teenagers being sexually assaulted. 

I believe that the legal drinking age in the USA should be lowered to 18. Teenagers are going to do what they want anyway so having the age be lowered would give them safety. They would not have to buy the alcohol illegally which is a lot safer. I also believe that the young drinkers would be safer in their decisions because they do not get the thrill that they are doing something illegal. Even though the brain is not fully developed, I believe the pros to a lower drinking age are amazing. The teens will drink even if it is illegal so brain development is going to be messed up either way. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Drinkin Problem by Kaya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Siqi 1 month ago

I think drinking will do nothing good to people’s brain especially to kids. We drink only for fun.
    To be bold and strong, don’t let alcohol control you. You must control them.