Climate change is a very controversial issue sweeping our planet today. As time goes on, we see it show up more and more in the news, conversations, and politics. One thing that we must do is educate everyone on this issue, especially the younger generation. They are the people who must grow up in our world for the next fifty years (and more) and they can’t do that if the planet is damaged. Students must start getting educated on this issues in their science classes so they can be aware of what is going on. 

Scientists have done studies in multiple different places, and have gathered evidence about climate change. About 97% of scientists agree that humans are the cause of global warming, and why our planet is suffering. They look at their evidence and can see it clearly that it is because of humans. They agree that people are causing the recent warming trends because of the burning of fossil fuels and other activities. 

According to an article “Climate Education in the Classroom: Cloudy with a Chance of Confusion,” the authors go on to talk about the education of millennials in their schools. Some teachers follow exactly what the scientific evidence says. They teach their students about how we are all causing this to happen to our planet, and how we must fix this. However, not all science teachers are following science. Some go off of their own beliefs. There have been some school science teachers teaching their students that climate change is controversial, and it is actually caused by natural causes. They are feeding their students false information, just because they don’t believe in climate change. This can be due to a number of factors. Some teachers let their political views get in the way, some teachers let where they live (a more controversial state) get in the way, and some let their religious views get in the way. They teach climate change like it is nothing serious, it isn’t our fault, or they just choose not to talk about it at all. 

The upcoming generation of people must know the danger our planet faces. Teachers must look towards the scientific evidence and reasoning to inform their students about this topic. They should not/can not rely on their own views of the topic dictate how they perceive it to their students. We must fully educate the future of our planet, so hopefully we can make more change and save our it. This can’t be done, unless they receive the proper education about global warming and climate change.

Branch, Glenn, et al. “Climate Education in the Classroom: Cloudy with a Chance of Confusion.” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, vol. 72, no. 2, Mar. 2016, pp. 89–96. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1080/00963402.2016.1145906.

1. Roman 3 months ago

I agree that people should be educated about climate change. It’s an important issue that we will have to live with and hopefully it can be fixed.

2. stella 3 months ago

I agree this, I find it insane that something scientifically proved is still not being taught in schools, especially since teaching it would reduce the problem in the future.

3. Wesley 3 months ago

I agree, once we start to teach about it in schools it may be taken more as a serious topic. I feel like in school I haven’t actually been taught about climate change and how I can help with the problem. Once our society starts to understand it that is when we will be able to help it and make a change.

4. Eric 3 months ago

I agree with everything stated. It is imperative to have the younger generations educated in climate sciences and generating solutions since these generations are the ones that will have to deal with the issue and the consequences of climate change.