I ask this because there are a lot of smart and wealthy people that didn’t even finish high school. That brought me to this question and i truly believe school is necessary to be successful. School is good because it secure you a position in life for example, people that don’t finish high school can’t even work in some fast-food restaurants nowadays. This shows how finishing school can get you a minimum wage job that can’t even support you for life. But there’s people like myself who work off the books and make a lot more than a fast-food job. This is why I believe school is not all they make it out to be. So is school really worth all that time? 

1. Sophie 3 months ago

Hey Wilbert!
    I agree with you and think the school is necessary to be successful, however, the price of school is extremely unfair to pay. Everyone should get higher education but it can not simply be done because of the prices. Here is a website that talks about the different prices of college. https://www.collegedata.com/en/pay-your-way/college-sticker-shock/how-much-does-college-cost/whats-the-price-tag-for-a-college-education/
    -Sophie

2. Kaan 3 months ago

Hello Willbert,
    I can agree that there is a problem with education in the US. Although, I do believe that education is necessary for a better future I can see how a few individuals make it seem like it is not. First of all, those individuals are very rare and I believe making use the education found is far better than leaving it up to chance. Second, I believe there is huge education inequality in America as people who can afford better education end up with a more successful life.
    Here is a website that compares the eduction in the US to other countries. I hope this is useful.
    https://wenr.wes.org/2018/06/education-in-the-united-states-of-america
    Best,
    Kaan

3. Tomas 3 months ago

Willbert, this is a very interesting question. However, I think school is very necessary. Elementary onto middle school develops a kid into a teen with the skills necessary for high school and daily life. High school forms someone a person ready to launch into the new world as an adult. The people who are rich, and dropped out of school are a small minority. They had strong ideas, and since they were so passionate about it they were able to create something amazing. Here is a link showing the benefits of schooling for someone’s life: https://www.borgenmagazine.com/top-10-benefits-of-education/. Overall, the amount of people successful from not being schooled in minimal compared to the benefits from going to school. The path someone takes in life may be set or influenced by outside variables, so I think that saying school is unnecessary isn’t completely true. Schooling may not be for everyone, but it helps people make a living in the long run.

4. Emma 3 months ago

It is an interesting question. In today’s climate, people are shying away from the traditional of success. Young people increasing jumped on social media outlets for money. Many kids have even dropped out of school to take on their new career. The decision isn’t stupid; they make a lot of money fairly quickly but it is not a stable source of income. These kids should not be dropping out of high school but it seems that finishing high school and completing college is not the only way to be successful in modern America look at Elon Musk. Musk dropped out of college to pursue Paypal. With that being said education seems to be the most promising strategy to achieve and maintaining success. I agree everyone should complete high school.

5. Elliot 3 months ago

Hey Willbert,
    You bring up an interesting question, but I can’t decipher whether or not you support schooling. According to some posts like this graph (https://taxfoundation.org/chart-day-income-levels-vs-education-levels/) those with high level degrees are statistically the highest paid. Is your work “off the books” sustainable over a lifetime? There are entrepreneurs that are able to make millions without a GED but this is extremely rare, and I’d rather play it safer and put my energy into achieving the highest education possible while finding my passions.