I was 11 years old when I came into the United States to have a better education. I’m an immigrant too like other people. My mother came into the United States to have a better job because in Guatemala there is not enough money to buy food and she wants to help her parents. She came by walking through the desert, she worked hard to be here, many people are like us. For example, “Today, more than 40 million people living in the U.S. were born in another country, accounting for about one-fifth of the world’s migrants in 2017” (Radford). Based on the research most immigrants come to the United States to have a better life by getting jobs and education for their children.

Firstly, immigrants deserve respect because they try to get jobs to help their family. In the article titled, “Key findings about U.S. immigrants” BY JYNNAH RADFORD it talks about the amount of immigrants that help in working. He explains “In 2017, about 29 million immigrants were working or looking for work in the U.S., making up some 17% of the total civilian labor force” (Radford). This article is credible because it talks about how immigrants try to get jobs so that their children can have a better education, there are more immigrants in the United States than any country in the world, the United States represented the amount U.S. immigrants. I interviewed my mother, I asked her why she decided to come to the U.S? She explained so that me, you, and your two brothers can have better education in the future and to learn new objects that we didn’t learn in Guatemala (Tomas).

On the contrary, some people think Immigrants take jobs from current Americans. According to “What Are the Jobs That Immigrants Do?” by Krystal D’Costa she explains, “A major point of the current government administration’s immigration platform has been that immigrants are taking jobs that should go to native-born Americans (D’Costa). This is unfair because they are just trying to get jobs to have a better job and life.

Additionally, immigrants want a better education for their children. They want to have the opportunity to have an education for their children that they didn’t have the opportunity in their country because they have to help their family to work. They came to the U.S. to start a new future for them and their partner they take the public school. Immigrants often come to the United States to seek education, especially higher education. They take the California English Language Development Standards for ELD.  The immigrants take the English language development because they start to learn English that they can have better jobs went they finish middle and high school (California Department of Education) When immigrants take the ELD class that’s when they start their new level to learn their new language of English and to learn about new history.

In conclusion, people come to the U.S to have better jobs and education for their children. They are not stealing jobs but finding opportunities. My family came here and I want to be a nurse in the future.

Annotated Bibliography

“Calendar of Events – CalEdFacts.” Calendar of Events – CalEdFacts (CA Dept of Education), 12 July 2019, www.cde.ca.gov/re/pn/fb/cdecalendar.asp.

D’Costa, Krystal. “What Are the Jobs That Immigrants Do?” California Department of Education, 19 Dec. 2019, Thursday, California Department of Education.

Radford, Jynnah. “Key Findings about U.S. Immigrants.” Pew Research Center, Pew Research Center, 17 June 2019, www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/17/key-findings-about-u-s-immigrants/.  

The article talks about the amount of immigrants who are trying to get jobs or who already have jobs because the immigrants just came in the United States to have a better jobs. They wanted to work very hard so that they can have better jobs for them and for their children, like my mom, I see her that she works so hard.

Tomas, Genoveva. “Immigration.” 9 Dec. 2019.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigrants by Remigia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Efan 1 week ago

Dear Remigia I agree with your point about other people coming from other countries because both of my parents came from Mexico because it was hard in Mexico at the time so my dad had to drop out of school to help out his family and came to the US to have a better life and work very hard as a Mexican man starting with nothing to having something in his life

2. Melissa 2 weeks ago

Dear Remigia, I feel that this is a very controversial topic. A line that stood out to me was when you stated, “ They are not stealing jobs but finding opportunities”. This stood out to me because lots of people think that immigrants come here to “steal jobs” and that’s a very common misunderstanding, and although I agree with most of your points, you mentioned that immigrants come to the U.S. for better education and a better life for their families a lot, do you think that there are other reasons why people may come to the U.S.? Thank you for sharing this information and writing this blog. Looking forward to your next piece of writing!

3. Mashlin 2 weeks ago

Education is very important and this matters to immigrants so much more than people think. It is what people look for when they immigrate. They are looking for better opportunities and an education that will help them in life. They search for a better lifestyle and education is one of the priorities.