Did you know that cars and factories are what causes air pollution? Did you know that then leads to serious health problems? And did you know this same pollution causes global warming? Air pollution is dismal for the health of humans and the environment. Air pollution is “A mixture of solid particles and gases in the air. Car emissions, chemicals from factories… May be suspended as particles. Some air pollutants are poisonous. Inhaling them can increase the chance you’ll have health problems” (https://medlineplus.gov › airpollution). Air pollution has always been a very serious problem because it causes respiratory health problems which is not great since, health problems can cause death or be life-changing. Global warming is something that is affecting the earth, global warming means, “The globe is heating up. Both land and oceans are warmer now… temperatures are still ticking upward. This temperature rise, in a nutshell, is global warming” (https://www.livescience.com › 37003-global-warming). Global warming, most of the times is a very dangerous problem because it’s affecting the earth and the earth is basically depending on us to change the way we live and reduce global warming.

Based on the research, air pollution is especially a problem in Oakland where it has increased the rates of asthma specifically in West Oakland and is creating global warming in our West Coast city. Air pollution is very dangerous to the earth and to humans because it creates serious illness to people and it causes the earth to not be in an acceptable condition.

Cars and factories are what cause respiratory illnesses like asthma. To begin, in an article titled, “Air Pollution Controversy Swirls Around Oakland Army Base Development” by Grace Rubenstein, the article was about how a boy from West Oakland has asthma at a young age and it also talks about what are the main reasons that is causing health problems. The article stated, “Jahvonn Mair was only 4 when he was diagnosed last year with asthma…Jahvonn lives in West Oakland, a neighborhood clogged with air pollution from the surrounding freeways and the Port of Oakland. Residents here are twice as likely to go to the emergency  room with asthma as people in Alameda County overall. They’re also more likely to die of cancer, heart disease or lung disease — all illnesses with known links to polluted air” (Rubenstein). Freeways has caused really huge impacts for cars, meaning lots of cars are always on it and freeways are mostly on top of neighborhoods or they are either really close to neighborhoods. Jahvonn who was really young who got recognized for having asthma is a resident to West Oakland where there is a lot of cars and people might think that it’s really polluted. When an area is really polluted, kids like Jahvonna are at really high risk of developing any respiratory illnesses because there lungs are barley developing and young children are not really ready to be exposed to harmful chemicals. The harmful chemicals are not safe at all for kids to inhale and even for older people but older people’s lung might be close to finish developing. A lot of youth are at risk of developing any respiratory illnesses and maybe some parents won’t know that their kids have illnesses until their kids start to have any symptoms of mostly breathing problems.

To continue, air pollution caused by cars and factories leads to global warming. This is true because both cars and factories release chemicals that are not acceptable to the earth which then ends up just hurting the earth and humans too. In an article titled, “Air pollution kills more people each year than smoking — but it’s not the only dangerous pollutant you encounter on a daily basis” by Aylin Woodward, the article has pictures that shows ways that hurt/pollute the earth and each picture had its own description which expalins how it pollutes the earth. Air pollution is usually caused by cars, factories, power plants and more, and those are made up essentially of carbon dioxide and methane. Once those chemicals are released they come together and trap heat which leads to global warming. (Woodward). Air pollution has always been a dangerous problem because like in the quote said that it causes global warming and that’s not healthy for the earth. Global warming is a serious problem that is caused by the products we use everyday, and it’s technically our fault there is global warming and children are getting illnesses caused by air pollution.  The fact that air pollution is causing global warming shows that cars and factories are the main products in Oakland that is causing types of problems and that’s something that may be fixable or not. If it is not fixable then that means cars and factories has caused permanent problems to the earth that then affect humans in any type of way. 

In conclusion, a problem in Oakland is the air pollution caused mainly by cars and factories result in serious respiratory illnesses. Cars and factories also leads to polluted air  which then causes global warming. Polluted air is not great at all for the earth and for humans, especially for children who are at risk of getting seriously sick. Polluted air can lead the earth to have permanent changes that could most likely be toxic to humans, animals and the environment. If nothing is done to reduce air pollution, then imagine how many people would be sick and there are going to be some serious and may be difficult changes to the planet.

Annotated Bibliography

“Air Pollution.” MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 17 Dec. 2019, medlineplus.gov/airpollution.html.

This website has a summary about what is air pollution. Also, it has some more information about air pollution which if any one picks a topic about air pollution it shows different websites. This website might not pass the CRAAP test because it’s a resource that’s almost like a library and anyone can find almost anything that is related to health.

Pappas, Stephanie. “What Is Global Warming?” LiveScience, Purch, 10 Aug. 2017, www.livescience.com/37003-global-warming.html.

The article is about global warming and it even has short topics that are different for each other about global warming. Also, the article provides some videos about global warming and at the end of it, it provides more resources about global warming. This article maybe would pass the CRAAP because the article was published on August 10, 2017 so the article is reliable and the author, Stephanie Pappas, is a live science contributor. The article was posted not long ago so maybe it’s trustworthy.

Rubenstein, Grace. “Air Pollution Controversy Swirls Around Oakland Army Base Development.” KQED, 1 Oct. 2014, www.kqed.org/news/134555/in-air-pollution-dispute-questions-over-who-benefits-who-pays-in-oakland-army-base-developmen.

The article is about how there is a lot of air pollution in West Oakland that a 4 year old child has asthma. It also talks about the environment in general, how there is a lot of construction going on and it also talks about how there is a lot of air pollution increasing rates. The article might pass the CRAAP test because it’s an article that was published on May 6, 2014 it is not really a recent article but it was published 6 years ago so it’s trustworthy. It also might pass the CRAAP test because the author, Grace Rubestien, is a journalist and she is a reporter on health too.

Woodward, Aylin. “Air Pollution Kills More People Each Year than Smoking – but It’s Not the Only Dangerous Pollutant You Encounter on a Daily Basis.” Business Insider, Business Insider, 5 June 2019, www.businessinsider.com/types-of-pollution-health-effects-2019-3#industrial-manufacturing-and-mining-operations-are-a-primary-source-of-groundwater-pollution-often-industrial-waste-contaminates-the-water-with-arsenic-lead-mercury-and-chromium-6-all-known-carcinogens-23.

It is an article that has more than five pictures that shows ways that hurt/pollute the earth/world. Each picture had its own description and shows a way how it pollutes the earth. The article shows images that are extreme and some are actually pretty sad. This source/article does pass the CRAAP test because it’s a recent source from this year. Also the author of it is a scientist and an environment reporter which makes them trustworthy.

1. Thao N. 5 months ago

Hey Jimena,

I really like what you wrote about “Air Pollution and Environment”. I think that especially during this time, it is so crucial to address the current situation that we are all currently facing, global warming. This is such a serious matter and I know that there are some people out there who do not believe in global warming, which is concerning but what you wrote is very informational and I like the reliable sources that you chose!

How you incorporated Jahvonn Mair’s story was very powerful and insightful. It is a great way to make the readers feel more connected to your topic. As someone who has a minor-case of asthma, I feel relatable as I read it, and it is important to spread awareness about how global warming can affect others (even if it doesn’t affect you…yet).

I also like how you said the Earth depends on us, and you know what? You are right. We only have our Earth, and it is our home. We do not treat our homes with disrespect by polluting it and trashing it. We all need to step up as a collective and help our planet before there’s nothing that we can do it about it anymore.

Thank you for sharing this!

2. Olivia 7 months ago

Hi Jemina,
    I really liked your argument because you provided multiple sources that are reliable. Not only were they provided but you used described how they helped support your argument really well. Do you think that there is a solution that is cost-effective and fast enough to save the environment? Here is a source that I think will be helpful: https://climate.nasa.gov/solutions/adaptation-mitigation/ .

Hope you find it useful!!

3. Mel 7 months ago

Hello Jimena 🙂

I enjoyed your summary of air pollution and its effects on the environment – especially how you brought in real life examples into your research. This makes the piece more personal and effective in targeting certain readers. The article about Jahvonn hits home for many children and parents as they are suffering from this dangerous issue.

Have you thought about small solutions or strategies you can promote to fight against air pollution within your family or community (e.g. school)? Sometimes small actions can cause small ripples that can turn into bigger ripples 🙂

4. Lacey 7 months ago

Hi Jimena!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog about air pollution. You did an incredible job talking about the causes and effects of air pollution on people and on the environment. You briefly mentioned at the end of your blog that something needs to be done about this. I found myself wondering what is it that needs to be done? Did you find any solutions while you were conducting your research? What has already been done to help alleviate this problem? What else needs to happen? Overall, you did a great job!

5. Madi 8 months ago

Hi Jimena,
    Throughout your essay, I thought you did a very good job raising awareness about the air pollution and the effect it can have on humans. It is a very serious topic in todays society and should be in conversation more. I found an article that goes into further detail about the effects of air pollution: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/air-pollution/

-Madi

6. Audrey 8 months ago

Hi Jimenia,
    I really like your post because it brings awareness to the air pollution in Oakland. You included good facts and links. This post inspired me to write my own post about the air pollution in Salt Lake City. Both places have bad air pollution as well as the rest of the world. Here is a link to a page about SLC’s air pollution just if you’re interested. https://westernresourceadvocates.org/utah-air-pollution/ Thanks for voicing about the air problem in Oakland.
    -Audrey

7. Edith 8 months ago

Dear Jimena, you’ve written a serious issue that needs to be talked about more. I agree with every point you’ve listed. Air pollution is damaging our Earth and children. We cannot let this problem be unseen by people in power. They too need to talk about this issue and figure out some solutions. A line that stood out to me is, “Global warming, most of the times is a very dangerous problem because it’s affecting the earth and the earth is basically depending on us to change the way we live and reduce global warming” because the planet is depending on us. We are all part of this problem. We started it and now we need to end it. If our home is gone, we are gone as well. Thank you for writing this, Jimena. I look forward to seeing more of your writing.

8. Megan 8 months ago

Jimena,

Your post was very interesting and did an excellent job at highlighting the negative affects and serious dangers of the air pollution in Oakland! I agree that we need to immediately do something to address the air pollution, as I live in Utah and in the Salt Lake Valley we have dangerously bad Air pollution.

Heres an interesting article that may prove beneficial to any future research that you do! It highlights the basic every day steps that we can all take to balancing out air pollution!
    https://www3.epa.gov/region1/airquality/reducepollution.html

Cant wait to see where your research takes you!
    Megan

9. Bella 8 months ago

Jimena,

Your post was very informative about the state of air pollution in Oakland and I found it very interesting. This was mainly because I live in Salt Lake City where we have much air pollution as well. Having pollutants in the air which become trapped when we experience an inversion, it becomes dangerous as people can develop respiratory issues. I believe that we must do something to regulate carbon emissions such as changing how cars are manufactured or simply traveling by car less. The Earth is a place where people must coexist together and we must take care of our Earth to create a safe environment for everyone.

Here’s an interesting article pertaining to reducing our carbon footprint: https://www.nytimes.com/guides/year-of-living-better/how-to-reduce-your-carbon-footprint

Hope to see what you write next,
    Bella

10. Emily 8 months ago

Your essay is very interesting. I agree this is a very serious issue that needs to be solved. You might find this article interesting: https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/air/tsb/ams/aqmdp/share.htm . It lists solutions people can implement on a personal level to try and help to solve this problem.