Legalizing marijuana has it’s pros and cons.  Marijuana was first legalized for medicinal use in california in 1996. The black market was still making more money than the legal market and more money than before legalization. Recreational marijuana use and possession by people 21 and older was legalized in the state of California in November 2016. Also,  visitors that are 21 and older can purchase weed or any product that they sell in the store. Although, it is legalized people are not allowed to take it out of California because other states haven’t legalized it and people can only purchase a certain amount.

A pro from legalizing merijuana has a possibility of bringing more money in the U.S. In the article i read Szalvita it was about making sure people dont over use marijuana and use it for the right purpose “No scientific evidence demonstrates an association between the amount of money governments spend on drug law enforcement and rates of drug use. And some nations like the U.S., which spend the most, have among the highest rates of drug use.” (Szalavitz

The con of marijuana is that although it is not scientifically proven that is harmful it can be addicting and people are starting to consume it more each day.  “Because many recreational (relating to or denoting drugs taken on an occasional basis for enjoyment, especially when socializing) Marijuana laws have been passed so recently, we do observe limited post-treatment data for some of these states,”(Howard) This is stating that they prescribe it but the do check for overuse and use for different purposes. So they are being responsible on how they released the weed for medical use because people to try to get it to just sell. Also it has limits on how much weed people may use. 

Some negative is that people can get addicted to weed and it comes with big consequences like people can just want to spend all their money on weed and makes them go broke and they can end up one the streets.

In sum legalizing weed comes with pros in cons with it so people have to make sure if it’s for medical purposes then use it that way and people just keep track of how much people smoke.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “WEED” by Christopher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jay 4 weeks ago

I appreciate the view you have on this. I personally favor legalization, but I fully understand the pitfalls a lack of planning can bring on society. We still do not know long term effects, potency levels have increased, the amount of nutrients that are put into them have increased and the way to tax it still isn’t clear. But, resources that were being used by the police to criminalize personal use can now go to actual policing, so that is a positive.

Thanks for your blog post.

2. Erik T. 2 months ago

Dear Chris, I appreciate you looking at both sides of the debate of whether or not medical marijuana should be legalized. You do bring up some really strong points in your original post. I do have to ask you about how marijuana should be tracked for consumption. How much should we control depending on what people are using it for? For example, should we allow people who use it for healing purposes to buy more than people who use it just for recreational purposes? How do we make it fair and if it should be prescribed, what should it be prescribed for?

I would love to hear about what you think about these questions that I am posing. Please reach out at your own convenience.

3. Austin Hizon 2 months ago

Dear Christopher, thank you for your points and evidence. I like your source that cites the effect legalizing weed can have on the economy. Your writing includes some pros and some cons, but I would like to see if you could turn these points into an argument. Some examples include, “Should the required age to buy weed be raised or lowered?” or “Should there be stricter or looser conditions to buy weed?” I would like to see if you could use your points and evidence to argue toward a specific question if you find any you are passionate about. Good job! Sincerely, Austin Hizon.

4. Victor 3 months ago

Dear Christ, I agree with ou and the way that you explain how weed has been legal for the state of california but I don’t understand Where did you find that quote and what it does mean?. something you need to work on is on capitalize your I because in some of the scentences you didnt also to have more evidence like were did you find it but for the rest its fine and I want to tell you that you did a good work. scincerly, Victor Gonzalez

5. Cesar 3 months ago

Dear Chris, thanks fro writting, but I respecctfuy disagree that having weed legalized could have more cons tha pros. For example, weed can cause people to die or even do crazy things. While doctors try to find out how to make people not overdose from weed, thousands of people would have died before the doctors find an answer. Have you ever thought about how mant people die each year because of weed? Sincerely, Cesar Sanchez.