Sideshows aren’t just illegal but are also fun. It is true there are cars going really fast in a circle that can crash, but it is also true that hundreds of people are together. A sideshow is like a car show with usually American Muscle cars. They happen in intersections throughout Oakland and they have been happening for a long time. According to articles and Oakland residence sideshows are a big thing in the Oakland community because it can bring everyone together. 

Sideshows build a community by congregating everyone together from different places. Also it can show how Oakland culture passes from its predecessors to future generations. Again, it’s showing Oakland that it can go out and have fun.   Sean Kennedy is a hip hop artist and historian explains how it began and he said, “The sideshow was a social event, a party in a parking lot, and showing off your car” (Dirks). Even today it is a social event and it about showing off one’s car. Usually there are  a lot of people there, close to one hundred. In an interview with Jaime Mendoza, an Oakland resident, he explains that when he goes to the sideshows he goes to have fun. He also said that the sideshows is like another family that everyone knows him (Mendoza).

However, sideshows are also illegal and dangerous. It’s illegal because it causes a distraction and also sometimes people have too much fun and they start shooting. Also because there are cars going fast in a circle and maybe they can lose control of the car and they might crash. In the article The Birth of the Oakland Hyphy Culture they said, “sideshows have a bad reputation as illegal, dangerous and occasionally violent street car shows, where gunshots may ring out and people could die (Dirks).”   Sometimes they can lead violence. Often they are fine, but it only takes one violent side show for the reputation to change and people to think they are dangerous. Dirks also shared in the article, “The sideshows began to change and evolve with time; they went from low and slow to fast and loose, with drivers performing tricks with increasing levels of difficulty and danger. The Oakland Police Department began to take notice” (Dirks). When the police get involved it starts to escalate to other drama like chases and police brutality. This is the story that gets on the news.

In conclusion Sideshows are important because they build community. On the contrary, Oakland PD thinks it’s an awful hobby  so they always try to stop it. But Oaklanders should be able to rent out a parking lot so they could have sideshows. This a compromise because Oaklanders will be able to have permission and also be safe by keeping their culture. Would you ever go to an Oakland sideshow ?

Annotated Bibliography

Dirks, Sandhya. “Sideshows: The Birth of Oakland’s Hyphy Culture.” KQED. N.p., 18 Aug. 2015. Web. 17 Dec. 2019.

Mendoza, Jaime. “Sideshow Interview.” Personal interview. 18 Dec. 2019.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sideshows by Josue is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Juan 2 weeks ago

Dear Josue,
    I think your post was good because sideshows are a part of Oakland in a way that the community enjoys them and spend a good time watching, they have fun and that’s part of the culture now. A line that stood out to me was “Sideshows build a community by congregating everyone together from different places. Also it can show how Oakland culture passes from its predecessors to future generations. Again, it’s showing Oakland that it can go out and have fun” because it does bring people together like people may not notice that it brings them together, we have to show them in a different perspective because all they may see is dumb people risking someones life but the people know what they are getting themselves into they have fun doing these type of things. I agree with your point about how its about showing off cars because cars are something to look at its beauty to some and for others is metal put together.Thanks for writing and keep up the good work wish you the best on your writing in the future.

2. Jennifer 3 weeks ago

Josue,

I am mind blown by your blog, “SideShows” because at first I thought sideshows were dangerous and didn’t think we should continue having them, but now that I’ve read your post it made me understand how important sideshows are to Oakland residents and how it’s a part of our community. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “…sideshows are a big thing in the Oakland community because it can bring everyone together.” As you also stated, it is a “social event” that helps the Oakland community to have fun and become united. Another sentence that I thought really stood out to me was: “…Sideshows are important because they build community.” This stood out for me because it shows how much sideshows have shaped the Oakland community. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing stood out to me and made me change my opinion about this certain topic. Again, thanks for sharing and I can’t wait til I read another one of your pieces of writing.

Josue 4 days ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I had a few questions for you based on your comment
      What made you change your mind?