‌ ‌“Ain’t‌ ‌no‌ ‌power‌ ‌like‌ ‌the‌ ‌power‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌people‌ ‌cuz‌ ‌the‌ ‌power‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌people‌ ‌don’t‌ ‌stop”.‌ ‌These‌ ‌words‌ ‌are‌ ‌chanted‌ ‌for‌ ‌protests‌ ‌in‌ ‌Oakland.‌ ‌These‌ ‌words‌ ‌symbolize‌ ‌change,‌ ‌Oakland‌ ‌is‌ ‌famous‌ ‌for‌ ‌its‌ ‌protests.‌ ‌In‌ ‌the‌ ‌article‌ ‌titled‌ ‌‌How‌ ‌the‌ ‌Bay‌ ‌Area‌ ‌Turned‌ ‌the‌ ‌protest‌ ‌Movement‌ ‌Into‌ ‌a‌ ‌Way‌ ‌of‌ ‌Life‌‌ ‌it‌ ‌explains,‌ ‌“O‌ver‌ ‌more‌ ‌than‌ ‌five‌ ‌decades,‌ ‌the‌ ‌Bay‌ ‌Area‌ ‌has‌ ‌been‌ ‌the‌ ‌epicenter‌ ‌of‌ ‌protest‌ ‌movements‌ ‌like‌ ‌no‌ ‌other‌ ‌region‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌United‌ ‌States”‌ ‌(John).‌ ‌Protest‌ ‌in‌ ‌Oakland‌ ‌have‌ ‌been‌ ‌happening‌ ‌for‌ ‌a‌ ‌long‌ ‌time.‌ ‌‌Based‌ ‌on‌ ‌research‌ ‌and‌ ‌interviews,‌ ‌protesting‌ ‌is‌ ‌important‌ ‌in‌ ‌Oakland‌ ‌because‌ ‌it‌ ‌creates‌ ‌movement‌ ‌and‌ ‌change‌ ‌and‌ ‌it‌ ‌helps‌ ‌shape‌ ‌the‌ ‌community‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌better.‌ 

One reason why protesting is important in Oakland is because it creates movement. For example, Colin Kaepernick a famous football player, said “I love America. I love people. That’s why I’m doing this. I want to help make America better. I think having these conversations helps everybody have a better understanding of where everybody is coming from.” (John). This is saying that Kaepernick uses his spare time when he’s not playing football, on protesting and standing up for others. This matters because what Kaepernick said is that he believes that america could become a better place. 

Another reason why protesting is important in Oakland is because it helps shape the community. Everytime a protest is occurring it helps give Oakland a better appearance. For example, Barbar Vega an interviewee said, “No a ido a un protest pero se que hacen una diferencia en nuestra comunidad” (Vega). She is saying that she hasn’t gone protesting but she supports it because it makes a difference in our community and Kapernick also said that. 

Some people however might think that protest aren’t important. This is true because some people might think that protesting isn’t important in Oakland and is just a waste of time. For example in the article, How the Bay Area Turned the protest Movement Into a Way of Life by Paige St. John, she wrote, “And this being the Bay Area, some people plan to bring their dogs to the event Saturday and then leave dog droppings behind in a counter-protest against the right-wing forces”. This means that some people don’t have any respect for the positive space and the community that others are trying to build to make Oakland a better place. People should be mindful because protests are always for good causes. 

In conclusion, protesting is important in Oakland because it will help us support one another to shape our community and create movement.  even famous people that are busy make time for protests because they believe that protest is something great that’s helped our community. Protesting is gonna have a positive effect because the community will come together and make a change. 

Annotated bibliography, 

John, Paige st. “How the Bay Area Turned the Protest Movement Into a Way of Life.” How the Bay Area Turned the Protest Movement into a Way of Life, 26 Aug. 2017, www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-bay-protest-tradition-20170826-htmlstory.html.

This article is talking about the history of protesting in the Bay Area. Paige writes on the fact that the Bay Area has always been a hub for people to express their feelings about different events and issues in our country. This is credible because it was made 2017. This is relevant to my topic because its talking about the topic Paige St.John has the authority to write this article because Paige St. John won the Pulitzer Prize for investigative in 2011, and she covers state politics.

Vega, Barbara. “Protest in Oakland.” 27 Nov. 2019.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Protests in Oakland by Jade is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marina 2 weeks ago

Hi Jade,

Wow, the song lyrics you chose to open your piece with were quite powerful and very fitting! Thanks for that. I agree that protests are a great way for people to come together around a common issue and voice their concerns and needs. Before reading this, I was unaware that the greater Bay area was a hub for protesters. One thing that surprised me from the article you mentioned is how the author of that article made a subtle connection between protesting and violent acts by organized groups. This seems like an unfortunate connection because protesting and organized violence are two different things and shouldn’t be lumped together, because by doing so it makes it sound as if organized violence and protesting are linked together, as if you can’t have one without the other. We know though, that that is not true. Many protests are peaceful, and if they do turn violent, it is not necessarily because of premeditated violence.

Have you been to a protest, Jade? I’ve been to a few, and every time I attend one I leave with this sense of community. It feels good to stand shoulder to shoulder with people who care about the same things as you. As you mentioned in your post, protests are a good way to bring together the community while advocating for change.

2. Emily Bredberg 3 weeks ago

Hi Jade,

Protests have been an important part of our nation’s history, and have played important roles in furthering social progress. I did not know about protests in Oakland specifically, and I am glad that you wrote about the importance of protests in your community. Additionally, I think it is wise for you to knowledge that some do not agree with protests in in the community, but that you still think they are important.

You did not mention what the protests were about. Because it is in national news, I know what Kaepernick’s protests were about, but I don’t know about protests in Oakland. I think it would be interesting to include information about what has been protested in Oakland, and any ways that the protests brought attention to issues that may have otherwise been ignored.

Have you witnessed protests yourself? Or been involved in any protests?

3. Divianca 3 months ago

Dear Jade,

I feel like your post “Protests in Oakland” is very interesting because you explain the importance of protests and the beneficial effect it has in our communities. I enjoyed reading about the different perspectives people have on protests because it shows an understanding on more then one point of view. One sentence that stood out to me was, “I think having these conversations helps everybody have a better understanding of where everybody is coming from.” This stood out to me because it is really true because if their is no communication or protests then people wouldn’t really understand others and what they are going through. Protests provide a space where people can chant about certain problems, and that can lead to more understaining in the communities. However, one thing I disagree with was, “This means that some people don’t have any respect for the positive space and the community that others are trying to build to make Oakland a better place.” I think the opposite, they do have respect for the space and are trying to build a better, more respectful space in the communities, like you had argued.

4. Jose 3 months ago

Dear Jade, I am very interested in your post because you add a football player perspective and you get to see what he does in his spare time and helps the community when you interview your mother and she explained how she tries to help the community and that could create a change to Oakland. I agree with you because we need a change in our community. When you said “ Protesting is gonna have a positive effect because the community will come together and make a change”. This stood up to me because this is saying that protesting can be helpful in many ways and it can change the community and it can create a good change to the community. Thank you for letting me know this information and why its useful.

.

5. Jennifer 3 months ago

Jade,

I am surprised by your blog, “Protest In Oakland” because I didn’t realize how much of it means to people to protest and how much it helps them. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “…protesting is important in Oakland is because it helps shape the community.” I think this makes a valid point of how Oakland is a city that makes changes for the better, and by that they unite together and protest to be equal and satisfied by their decisions. Another sentence that caught my attention was: “Protesting is gonna have a positive effect because the community will come together and make a change.” This stood out for me because it shows that protesting is something helpful for those who choose to and it creates a great change for them and their community. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you made me learn a lot of this topic from your writing and made me realize how important protesting is and how much of an impact it makes towards the community and people. Again, thank you and I can’t wait til I read one of you other pieces of writings.