1. Stephanie Ullman 4 months ago

Hi Yadira,
    Thank you for your insightful post on the challenges of fixing the many potholes in Oakland’s streets. I especially enjoyed the wide range of vocabulary you used to describe the issue. After reading your post, I wonder – what do you think might be a good solution to this issue? Clearly, individual residents cannot fix the potholes alone, but I wonder where the money for the city to do so might come from. I would love to hear your ideas, either in a comment or a future blog post!
    Best,
    Stephanie

2. Erica Hodgin 4 months ago

Yadira,
    Thanks for sharing what you learned about the pavement and pothole problems in Oakland. It’s clear that these issues are effecting people’s day to day life and the cost of repairs can be detrimental for people. I’m curious if you came across any information about the inequitable repair of potholes where potholes in wealthier neighborhoods are fixed and faster than other neighborhoods. What do you think the city could do about this discrepancy? I’m also curious what you think about online apps that help residents report and track pothole or city repairs needed. Do you think that would help Oakland or is it more of a financial issues that there isn’t money in the budget?
    Best,
    Erica

3. Aida 6 months ago

Dear Yadira,

I think your post was really good because you got really good pictures to prove your point about pavement in Oakland. A line that stood out to me was “Oakland residents are mad but don’t do anything to change this problem.” because I agree with you and we should change this problem.i agree with your point about pavement and the government should change this problem. Thanks for writing and keep it up.

4. Aida Pablo 6 months ago

Dear Yadira,

5. Angel Gutierrez Solorio 6 months ago

Dear Yadira, I think your article was awesome and very relatable to the residents of Oakland. I liked that you explained how Oakland is trying to fix these streets but, sadly they don’t have enough money. Something that really popped out to me was when you said, “That’s a lot of money just for potholes and the Oakland budget is inadequately small compared to the renovation Oakland needs. Oakland residents are mad but don’t do anything to change this problem”(Yadira). That line is 100% true because Oakand is not getting enough funding for these streets because they need to tax people more in order to get more money. At the same time this is a bad and good thing because even though Oaklnd is not fixing their streets they are also not charging as much tax which shows they are sort of being good to us. I agree with your point because there were times where you would say people would get mad at potholes which is very relatable considering one time my dad was driving casually when out of nowhere he hit a pothole and got a flat right on the street. So yes I agree with you all the way and believe that you’re onto something for more support go to, “https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/potholes-oakland-bad-roads-how-to-fix-report-13817984.php”. In this article they talk about people who go out at night to fix bay areas potholes. This may be illegal, but at least they are actually doing something that Oakland isn’t doing to help the community be safe. Not only are potholes annoying but can be really dangerous if you lose control. Thanks for letting me read your article, I really enjoyed your reasoning and up class vocab. These little things made your article sound very proper. Next time I see you I hope to see more of these great writing along with more grammar and typo fixes. Overall I really enjoyed your article.
    Sincerely, Angel

Yadira 6 months ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog. The part of your comment that stood out to me was,¨considering one time my dad was driving casually when out of nowhere he hit a pothole and got a flat right on the street.” I liked how you connected your experience to my blog. Look forward to hearing back!