1. Stephanie Ullman 3 weeks ago

Juan,
    As an Oakland teacher who was born and raised in Chicago, I really appreciated how much I learned from your piece. I did not know about how the Ohlone land was taken away from them by the Peraltas. At one point in your article, you made a connection to the decline in Oakland’s African American population. I was wondering what you thought the connection might be between the Peraltas and the present-day loss of land? I would love to hear more of your thoughts, either in a response or a future blog post!
    Thank you,
    Stephanie

2. Erica Hodgin 4 weeks ago

Juan,
    Thank you for sharing everything that you learned about the history of Oakland the various groups of people who have lived here throughout history. It looks like you have consulted a number of sources. I’m wondering what you think schools or the city can do to help people learn this history. What action steps would you recommend? And how might people from these Native tribes be central to telling their own story?
    Best,
    Erica