Did you know that immigrants come to the United States for reasons such as  trauma and this motivates them to come to the U.S.A. In the article “Mercury News” is about the people that have been deported back to there home country. Most of the immigrants go to a detention centers or lawyers so the can help them with their case. When the authors Ali and ETHAN said “In total, the ICE Air operation flew nearly 43,000 people in and out of Oakland during that period. Almost 27,000 were being deported. The other 16,000 were being transferred, part of a detention and relocation system that advocates and immigration lawyers. What this is talking about that the ICE has flew 43,000 in and out of Oakland during a period” Tadayon and Baron. Some of the people were deported back to their country and the others were going to a detention center. ICE is “The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is a federal law…”(ice.gov) Immigrants is a person from a different country come to the U.S.A illicit. Deportation is when the law expels a specific person with no residents from the country. Based on research/interviews it shows that immigrants feel harm in their home country and come to the U.S.A for a better life; but they fear deportation because they don’t want to go back with the violence. 

First, Not all Immigrants but many have the choice to come to the united states to get rid of the violence and for a better life and so they can help their family.This is true because immigrants come to the United States for a better life. This article discusses the reasons why immigrants come to the United States. It also talks about the motivation that they come to the United states. In fact, In the  article it said “To join their families, to work, and to seek safety and refuge from war, violence, and natural disasters”(Soros). This article discusses the reasons why immigrants come to the United States. It also talks about the motivation  them come to the United states. The reason that the immigrants come to the united states is because want to feel safe because in there home country it wasn’t safe. This created all the negativity in their home country and this motivated to come to the United States. This is abnormal. I interviewed one of my family members and was asking her questions. One of the questions was “What motivated you to come to the United States”. And one of her reasons was that she wanted to come to the United States because she wanted to get rid of the violence. Where she lived in El Salvador it was very dangerous because there were always fight about gangs. And secondly, she also said that she wanted to help the family because in El Salvador the life there is very hard  she said“ you get paid 6 dollars fro 12 hours of work time” and when she came to the United States she also said “it was very different no violence and get paid more.” So what this is trying to say is that the lives from two different places it is very different.

Secondly, Immigrants have a fear of deportation don’t want to go back to the violence. This article is about the reasons that they leave their home country and come to the United States. When George soros said “ In 2010, for example, 13 percent of the people apprehended at the U.S. southern border came from Central America’s so-called Northern Triangle—Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras. With violence and crime now at unprecedented levels—they are among the top 10 most violent countries in terms of homicides—that number had jumped to 42 percent in 2016. What this is talking about that the three countries are very dangerous and they come to the United  States to get a better life with no violence. This matters because families are losing people who they really care about or this motivates them to leave their home country and go to the United States for a better life. Also when the authors said Ali and Ethan said “Oakland International Airport served as the staging ground for nearly 1,000 flights chartered by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement between 2010 and 2018, carrying detainees on their way to deportation or transfer between detention centers.During those periods of time they went back to the violence that they didn’t want to experience again.

In conclusion, Based on research/interviews it shows that immigrants feel harm in their home country and come to the U.S.A for a better life; but they fear of deportation because they don’t want to go back with the violence. As a child of an immigrant what they have said to me is somewhat similar from the story that i’m writing but from what ive heard that it is very dangerous because of the two rival gangs that are two streets away from each other the MS-13 and 18th street gang. And in my perspective when I went 3 years ago it wasnt that dangerous because I was pretty far away from the dangerous area and I didn’t experience any violence but I saw a lot of violence in the news about gangs. So immigrants come to the United States for a better life.

Annotated Bibliography 

Soros, George. “Why Does the U.S. Need Immigration Reform?” Open Society Foundations, Open Society Foundation, May 2019, https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/explainers/why-does-us-need-immigration-reform.“Why Does the U.S. Need Immigration Reform?” Open Society Foundations, Open Society Foundation, May 2019, https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/explainers/why-does-us-need-immigration-reform

This article discusses the reasons why immigrants come to the United States. It also talks about the motivation that they come to the United states. It was published in 2019 meaning it is recent and it’s giving recent information.

Ferguson, Cat, et al. “ICE Used Oakland Airport to Deport and Transfer Tens of Thousands of Immigration Detainees.” The Mercury News, The Mercury News, 22 July 2019, www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/21/ice-used-oakland-airport-to-deport-and-transfer-tens-of-thousands-of-immigration-detainees/

This article discusses the reason why the Oakland airport deport thousands of immigrants back to their home country and the amount that go back between a period of time . It was published in 22 July 2019

1. Monica 2 months ago

Dear José, I can tell you are very passionate about this topic. I think there should be more people, especially young ones, speaking out about issues that concern them. I love how you included research to support your arguments. One quote that stood out for me was ” she wanted to help the family because in El Salvador the life there is very hard.” I think it clearly exemplifies the why immigrants come to this country. Great job at including that in your post. One thing I would recommend is looking at more reasons of why immigrants come to this country; it is not only for fear or violence. Also, I would recommend that you consider including someone’s opposite view. Include why some people do not want immigrants are rebuttal it with the reasons of why they deserve to stay and come to the United States. Doing this will make your post/argument more strong.

2. Eva Phillips 2 months ago

Jose, thank you for your insight into one of the biggest issues in our country. The topic of immigration hits home for me, as I am an immigrant from Peru. It is disheartening to see the number of deportees growing as opposed to seeing the government handle the situation in a more humane manner. I appreciate the statistics you provided. It shows that you have done your research. I especially enjoyed the inclusion of a primary source in the form of an interview. I think that was your strongest evidence. I wish you had included more questions from your interview and dive deeper into how this issue impacts you personally. I hope to hear from you soon.
    Best of luck,

Eva Phillips
    UCR Grad student

3. Areli 3 months ago

Dear Jose
    I think your post was very interesting because you were talking about the immigrants and why they were in the u.s.A line that stood out to me was “First, Not all Immigrants but many have the choice to come to the united states to get rid of the violence and for a better life and so they can help their family” is because this is true and that they only come to get some work in this place.I agree with your point that they don’t want to go back because they are afraid of what could happen. Thank you for writing and keep it up with this.

4. Amy 3 months ago

Dear Jose, I feel that your topic is a big issue and many people like the government aren’t doing much about. One sentence that stood out to me was,” —Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras. With violence and crime now at unprecedented levels—they are among the top 10 most violent countries in terms of homicides—that number had jumped to 42 percent in 2016.” This stood out to me because a lot of immigrants come to united states so they could be safe and not worry about all the danger that is happening in their home town, this also shocked me because there is a lot of violence risking peoples life.However, one thing I think you could have added was how immigrants struggle to continue being with their family if they keep getting deported and can’t find jobs because of it. But overall you have a strong article.

5. Yadira 3 months ago

Dear Jose, I feel that your topic is an issue the government is not helping considering the situation. Overall your argument was strong and I didn’t feel lost in your article. Furthermore, one sentence that stood out to me was, ̈This is true because immigrants come to the United States for a better life.̈ This stood out to me because your whole article revolves around this claim, I also like how it was short and straight forward. However, I disagree with what you have to say about how, “Immigrants have a fear of deportation don’t want to go back to the violence.” Immigrants don’t only fear that they can also fear debt and or financial issues, having a place to stay, or even family, these are only a couple of examples and there a plenty more but everyone has reasons to be afraid to get deported and its not only violence. In the article you introduced, Why Does The U.S. Need Immigration Reform? The author writes how immigrants just want to gather with their families and a place to stay away from the place they were born in and many people can agree to how violence isn’t the only way to drive someone away from their home country. Just wanted to tell you there are more options for immigrants.