“The Bay Area News Group reports that Oakland CA saw a 47 percent increase in homelessness since this time in 2017. According to a count conducted in January, there are 4,071 unhoused people in Oakland”(KUKURA). This information explains about people living without housing in the streets will increase because if Oakland or the people don’t make something in respect it could lead to something worse. Homeless are people that are in the streets that they can’t afford a  housing. By analyzing the research and doing interviews it shows that Oakland is having more homeless people each year because of the rent increase in the city of Oakland CA and Oakland needs to support them or helping them more than they are.

To begin the cause of homeless on the street is because of the rent has increased in the past years. For example in the info paper by Mayor libby schaaf she informs”  through June 30, 2020, is 3.5%.July 1, 2019: 3.5%,July 1, 2018: 3.4%,July 1, 2017: 2.3%”(schaaf) This info tries to inform that each time the rent percentage is increasing for example 2017 was 2.3% but 2018 went to 3.4% increasd by 1.1% and this connects with the homeless people because they don’t have jobs that pay the right  amount of money they need to pay for the rent. In a interview to an Oakland resident mother that has been here for 16 years she agrees that rent is the problem. .According to her, homelessness cold stop or go down if rent is controlled. She explained, “ if rent will not increase and so people could pay their homes without the rent getting higher and maybe their might be less homeless people in the streets.”  (Chavez) This interview talks about an Oakland resident that could be affected by rent increase because she doesn’t have that money to be paying monthly that could be happening to the other residents or that happened to the homeless that are in the streets.                         

However if the city of Oakland doesn’t want homeless people stay in the streets they could help them by giving some place to live or sleep in and they could give them some programs that could help them get jobs if they don’t have a job. For example this information talks about giving them were to sleep.In the article Oakland committee approves new plan to address homelessness by David sekiranda it explains “The PATH plan aims at closing the racial disparities of homelessness by providing affordable housing and emergency intervention programs, such as providing beds at shelters, and rehousing people quickly” (Sekiranda). This information talks about helping them by giving were to sleep quickly because they don’t want them to be everywhere in the streets even with the rains. To include the city of Oakland could open new places to put the homeless people. For example in “Oakland’s per-capita homeless rate is higher than San Francisco and Berkeley” “The city of Oakland has four sites the Mayor calls “Cabin Communities”, offering beds in backyard sheds to 118 transitioning from homelessness. ”(Pena)This information tells that if Oakland make spaces for the homeless their would be no homeless in the streets;and the mayor could adopt more places to make more cabins for homeless. 

To conclude,  by analyzing the research and doing interviews it shows that Oakland is having more homeless people each year because of the rent increase in the city of Oakland CA and Oakland needs to support them or help them more than they are. For example Oakland could open a new housing for the homeless people “ Oakland opens fifth cabin site for homeless in West Oakland”“The city of Oakland opened its fifth “Community Cabins” site Wednesday in hopes of clearing homeless encampments on the West Oakland-Emeryville border and helping homeless people transition to permanent housing. As the city’s largest site, it will serve 76 people who are currently living in encampments near 35th”( McBride) If Oakland don’t keep helping this homeless people to get help or support from the city of Oakland next year there could be more homeless than 2019 and that would be awer fault for not doing nothing.

annotated bibliography

Chavez   , Areli, and Maria Navarro. “Homeless and Rent Interview.”

I interviewed her 12/1/2019 I chose to interview her because she has been here in Oakland CA for 16 years so she knows how it has changed in the past years. 

Kukura, Joe. “Oakland’s Homeless Population Has Skyrocketed Nearly 50% In Two Years.” SFist, SFist – San Francisco News, Restaurants, Events, & Sports, 24 July2019,sfist.com/2019/07/24/oaklands-homeless-population-had-skyrocketed-nearly-50-in-two-years/#:~:targetText=The%20Chronicle%20explains%20that%20Oakland,at%20940%20per%20100%2C000%20people.

This article is credible because it was published on  july 24 2019 and talks about Oakland and this info comes from  San francisco.

McBride, Ashley. “Oakland Opens Fifth Cabin Site for Homeless in West Oakland.” SFChronicle.com, San Francisco Chronicle, 3 July 2019, www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-opens-fifth-cabin-site-for-homeless-in-14070699.php.

This article  Is credible because  it was published in july 3 2019 and it has true in formation because it comes from San Francisco Chronicle

“Learn More About CPI & Allowable Rent Increases.” City of Oakland, 2019, www.Oaklandca.gov/resources/learn-more-about-allowable-rent-increases.

This source is credible because  it was published by the Mayor Libby Schaaf and has  been published by 2018 and updated by 2019.

Pena, Luz. “Oakland’s per-Capita Homeless Rate Is Higher than San Francisco and Berkeley.” ABC7 San Francisco, 24 July 2019, abc7news.com/society/oaklands-per-capita-homeless-rate-is-higher-than-san-francisco-and-berkeley/5414217/#:~:targetText=Oakland%20has%20a%20homeless%20population,Oakland%20and%20Alameda%20County%20officials.&targetText=OAKLAND%2C%20Calif.,officials%3A%20Oakland%20has%204%2C071%20homeless.

This source is credible because it was published in july 24 2019 and it comes from the news abc 7.

1. Sophia Ornelas 4 months ago

Hey Areli, I am a student at SJSU assigned to reading your topic. I must say that I am very impressed with the amount of research done for this blog post. The amount of research done makes what you say seem more credible. You also made it seem more personal by adding the exert from the mother saying that “In a interview to an Oakland resident mother that has been here for 16 years she agrees that rent is the problem.”. It is well known that rent increase is a problem in most of the Bay Area, and choosing this topic was a good choice. Thank you for such a great post!

2. Aubrey Pery 5 months ago

Thank you for your work on this. I particularly appreciated that you interviewed a resident as a source in addition to the articles and reports that you cited. This is obviously a problem in our communities and I admit that often feel overwhelmed by it. Not only do you establish the nature of the problem through statistics, specifically the increase in homelessness, but you also examine some root causes and potential solutions. You have brought information to my attention that I can further investigate. Thank you. I wonder, do you think this a something that needs to be addressed nationally as well as locally? Do you see this playing a role in the upcoming 2020 election?

3. Gregory 6 months ago

Hey Areli, I was drawn towards your article because you mentioned the word “solution”. I love It when students not only describe a specific issue, but also provide concrete plans to fix the problem. One strength of your writing is that you cite evidence and use the evidence to support your arguments. Creating arguments is easy, but backing up your arguments with logic or evidence is the hard part. Another aspect in your piece is that you highlight a specific reason for increased homelessness and use statistics and your interview material to back your argument. Your piece is convincing, but I do not see any alternative perspectives. I think counterarguments would really strengthen your case about homelessness. How would you address someone’s argument that said all homeless people are lazy and that there are enough high paying jobs available but those lazy homeless people just don’t want to work? If you pull statistics about the minimum wage, monthly income, or the number of individuals with more than one job, I think you can further strengthen your argument. Overall, I enjoyed reading your piece but a little more proofreading could improve my experience. Well done!

4. Angel 7 months ago

Dear, Areli I disagree with your topic because Oakland has spent millions on the homeless community is that the community isn’t using it correctly. You clearly explain the problems and solutions like when you talk about rent, you also talk about who is causing the rent to go up, but you don’t explain why Oakland isn’t helping the homeless. What I want from you is instead of talking all about the bad in Oakland, you should talk about some of the good. That is why I disagree with your opinion because your only showing the bad of Oakland. This makes me more engaged into your article by letting me support you in a disagreeing way. For example, when you say, “Homeless people because they don’t have jobs that pay the right amount of money they need to pay for the rent”(Areli). It let’s me know that it’s Oaklands fault for having homeless people on the streets but you don’t explain the income of these homeless and the rent cost. So how is the reader gonna understand the amount of money compared to rent and prices. This connects to my topic which is also about homelessness because just like me I also talked about rent prices. In one of my interviews my person explained how Oakland isn’t giving anything back to the community and how they should use tax money from the community for shelter towards the homeless. Not only is this useful towards your article but, it will make it stronger for future readers by showing ways of how Oakland could help. Also, almost forgot you should talk about the amount of money given towards the homeless community to show why it isn’t enough. Some resources for you if your still looking for free shelter, just go to, “https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/city.cgi?city=Oakland State=CA”. Who are a professional Oakland program helping homeless people out of the streets into FREE shelter. I recommend them to you because they are open 24 hours a day meaning you can redirect homeless people towards the program so they wouldn’t have to suffer outside in the cold. These homeless people can stay for as much as a month if they wished which shows they don’t only want them off the streets but, into a loving community foreshadowed by the Oakland government. Another source that will help people agree with you is the amount of money spent on the homeless,
    “https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/15/oaklands-9-million-homelessness-solution-new-preventive-program-launches/”. This article explains the amount of money Oakland spends on the homeless making it helpful for explaining rent prices. This can be a solution for your first quote being, “The Bay Area News Group reports that Oakland CA saw a 47 percent increase in homelessness since this time in 2017″(Kukura). By giving resources towards the community we could stop the rates from going up. Even though I disagreed with your work, with my feedback and ideas you could make your article even stronger. Overall I’m really supportive of your ideas and will hope to see you write again. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read your masterpiece which was filled with strong and wonderful ideas. I felt very optimistic reading your article because it showed me that there was still hope for this community. One way you could bring people like me towards your writing would be more effort on your grammar, not saying your article was bad, it was just a bit disappointing that you had such strong reasoning but not correctly spelled words. Another change that will bring people back is comparing Oakland to other cities like San Jose which has a well controlled system. So just remember I want to see more effort and comparing. Next time I see you I would hope to see even stronger writing along with more corrections.
    Sincerely, Angel

Areli 7 months ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog.I wanted to address what you said when I’m only talking the bad things of oakland I think I would’t notice this if you did’t post this comment thank you again for opening my eyes.

5. Angel 7 months ago

Dear, Areli I agree with your topic and feel sad for Oakland not doing its best to help the homeless community because you clearly explain the problems and solutions like when you talk about rent you also talk about who is causing the rent to go up which is Oakland making me believe you know what you’re talking about. This makes me more engaged into your article by showing the ways to help the homeless. For example, when you say, “Homeless people because they don’t have jobs that pay the right amount of money they need to pay for the rent”(Areli). It let’s me know that it’s Oaklands fault for having homeless people on the streets because you’re giving me the correct reasons. This connects to my topic which is also homelessness because just like me I also talked about rent prices. In one of my interviews my person explained how Oakland isn’t giving anything back to the community and how they should use tax money from the community for shelter towards the homeless. Not only is this useful towards your article but, it will make it stronger for future readers. Also, I have some resources for you if your still looking for free shelter, just go to, “https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/city.cgi?city=Oakland State=CA”. Who are a professional Oakland program helping homeless people out of the streets into FREE shelter. I recommend them to you because they are open 24 hours a day meaning you can redirect homeless people towards the program so they wouldn’t have to suffer outside in the cold. These homeless people can stay for as much as a month if they wished which shows they don’t only want them off the streets but, into a loving community foreshadowed by the Oakland government. This can be a solution for your first quote being, “The Bay Area News Group reports that Oakland CA saw a 47 percent increase in homelessness since this time in 2017″(Kukura). By giving resources towards the community we could stop the rates from going up. Overall I’m really supportive of your ideas and will hope to see you write again. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read your masterpiece which was filled with strong and wonderful ideas. I felt very optimistic reading your article because it showed me that there was still hope for this community. One way you could bring people like me towards your writing would be more effort on your grammar, not saying your article was bad, it was just a bit disappointing that you had such strong reasoning but not correctly spelled words. Another change that will bring people back is comparing Oakland to other cities like San Jose which has a well controlled system. So just remember I want to see more effort and comparing. Next time I see you I would hope to see even stronger writing along with more corrections.

Sincerely, Angel