Gun violence is pretty bad right now. 15 years  ago, there used to be barely any shooting on my block. People used to always be so calm in my neighborhood. Now, it’s not even safe to even be outside or walk around the corner store due to killing’s occurring so often. There are too many people that buy guns illegally from people and don’t have a permit for it. Since people are able to buy guns illegally it increases the gun violence and it all needs to start with having a law to prevent people from selling them illegally. 

Firstly, gun violence is a problem. According to the article The Impact of Gun Violence on Children, Families, & Communities” it denotes, “With more than 25% of children witnessing an act of violence in their homes, schools, or community over the past year, and more than 5% witnessing a shooting, it becomes not just an issue of gun regulation, but also of addressing the impact on those who have been traumatized by such violence” (Collins and Swoveland).  This is important because it is stating the percentages of witnesses experiencing violence is high. It is sad that children have to witness violence because they are innocent and their only worry should be school and being kids. Additionally, Gun Violence costs Oakland and the country. As illustrated in EFFECTS OF GUN VIOLENCE written by the Brady Project. Brady Project they are made by parents and they started saying that we should stop gun violence because their children were the one getting the guns and being affected. The website comments “Gun violence is estimated to cost the American economy at least $229 billion every year. Let that sink in — $229 billion. In addition to the medical costs of a shooting, indirect expenses take the form of impact on victims’ quality of life and victims’ lost wages” (Brady Project). This explains that gun violence is wasting too much money and energy for our community. Gun violence is causing too many murders in Oakland because there are not enough laws to stop people from getting a gun, that is there must be stricter laws for gun ownership and use. 

Secondly, Oakland needs better laws around gun violence. For example, according to the Brady Project is presents that “hundreds of thousands of guns can be sold without completed background checks (Brady Project). That there has been many people buying guns without a permit and maybe they are selling them or giving them to people who should not have. We need a law that has stricter background checks so people cannot buy a gun so easily. Secondly, it is important to have laws to lock up guns properly in a house. The Brady project remarks that, “Today, an estimated 4.6 million minors, approximately 7% of all U.S. children, live in homes with at least one firearm that is both loaded and unlocked” (Brady Project). This is a lot of children with access to unlocked guns. This is not safe. Oakland should provide locks with the purchase of a gun so that it is safer. Therefore, these laws are needed.

Though not a law and directly related to gun violence, it is important parents and toy companies talk about the seriousness of gun. The guns toys give a really bad example for the little kids that they can take it seriously as they grow up and as they get older there atarting be like o guns are cool or fun to play with but it’s a really bad example for kids. Some families think that buying a toy gun for kids it’s ok but no because they take it way to far when they get older. Some of my family would buy my little cousins my family would say its ok but i knew it was not so they kept growing up and the things around got a lot worse and then many times there house got shot and my family where doing really bad things and that’s why things HAPPEN

Annotated Bibliography

Collins, Julie, and Emily Swoveland. “The Impact of Gun Violence on Children, Families, & Communities.” CWLA, CWLA, www.cwla.org/the-impact-of-gun-violence-on-children-families-communities/.

“Effects of Gun Violence.” Brady Project, Brady Project, www.bradyunited.org/issue/effects-of-gun-violence.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun violence by Natalie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yaritza 3 days ago

Dear Natalie,
    I agree with your blog because there’s been a lot of gun violence in the community of Oakland and it’s not safe. I agree with the sentence that you included that says “Gun violence is causing too many murders in Oakland because there are not enough laws to stop people from getting a gun, that is there must be a stricter laws for gun ownership and use.” This s really important because if the law was more strict on guns there would be less gun violence murder. Thank you for sharing out your writing and giving out an important message on the gun violence in Oakland.

2. Elizabeth 1 week ago

Dear Natalie, I think that your post “Gun violence” is very moving and it is important that the problem of gun violence is asserted. But when you stated “We need a law that has stricter background checks so people cannot buy a gun so easily”, it made me disagree with your idea of a solution because if you make stricter laws that go into people’s background, then you can cause ICE to find illegal immigrants and families will suffer even more when being separated. While you try to solve one problem, you will be adding to a much greater problem in our society and you will even be adding to the problem that you are trying to fight. If kids get separated from their parents, they won’t have anyone to look up to, which can cause them to get on the wrong track and start using guns to hurt people while they are the ones hurting deep inside.

3. Isaiah 4 weeks ago

Dear Natalie,
    Your topic is very interesting and as a Oakland resident I agree to this topic because I have lived in Oakland throughout fair share of my life. I heard the gun violence not in person but from afar. One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is, “15 years ago, there used to be barely any shooting on my block. People used to always be so calm in my neighborhood. Now, it’s not even safe to even be outside or walk around the corner store due to killing’s occurring so often.” This stand out because this is a very powerful statistic about Oakland that is talked about quite frequently so the fact that you bring it up and it is wrong is very hurtful to me as a Oakland resident. In fact in 2018 statistics show that the murder rates in Oakland is the lowest it has been since 1999. So I disagree with your statement that is in quotes above. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because maybe you can learn from this experience and grow as a reader to do your research. Hopefully you improve.