1. Cristine 3 months ago

Hi Ivan!
    My name is Cristine, and I’m at student at San Jose State University. I really appreciated your post about gentrification. If i’m being honest, I didn’t have a clear idea on what gentrification was and I think you explained it really well. Your title made me laugh, but your information was very enlightening! As someone who has to worry about rent prices and picking neighborhoods to live, I can relate to struggling to find decent areas to live at a good price because of people overpricing their rent. It is something that plagues university students like us. Rental rooms near our school are very expensive because property near campus are considered high value. It makes it difficult for college students to find good places to live for a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing, it was really nice to see a topic I could personally relate to!

2. Heather S. 3 months ago

Hi Ivan,

I really impressed with your article regarding gentrification. I appreciate how you highlighted that gentrification can cause displacement due to an increase in rent. I like how you mentioned this because its something that people overlook when they see old homes or restaurants being torn down and turned into trendy cafes or pricey apartments. The fact that you included stories and experiences of other people made this more meaningful and you included a human person to an issue that at first glance seems like an industrial issue. Thank you for opening up about your family. I live in Los Angeles, but I can relate to you just the same. My sister had to move homes because her complex was getting torn down and it was really unfortunate to see people who had lived there for years leave after raising their families there. A lot of the culture in my city has been displaced because of gentrification and it not only creates economic struggle but a loss in culture. Thank you for sharing such an important issue!

3. Mia 3 months ago

Dear Ivan

I am engaged by your post “Gentrification Sucks” because I come from a low income family and I couldn’t relate to anything more.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “gentrification causes increased rent and potential for displacement” I think this is awful because many families live in the same house for years and often it’s all they have. Like you said, this causes a financial burden very quickly.

Another sentence that I found interesting was “This individual is experiencing having to move due to gentrification, showing that it’s impossible for him to flee from his problems” This stood out for me because it’s one thing to have to move because of gentrification, but to have to KEEP moving because of gentrification is not okay. This does not allow people to establish a sense of home and community with their neighbors. Not only that, but also it puts a burden of possibly having to change schools for children as well as a further commute for adults.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. When I was about seven years old my parents got divorced. After that I was raised by a single parent, my mom which meant only one income for our family. This was a struggle for my family but my mom began working two jobs to keep up the rent. After the lease was over, the owner of the house decided to raise the rent of the house and my mom couldn’t afford it so we had to move quickly with nowhere really to go at the time.

4. Alyssa S. 3 months ago

Dear Ivan,
    I am speechless and touched by your article regarding the very prevalent issues of gentrification that so many people are impacted by in today’s world. Your article beautifully, yet heartbreakingly, described the experiences that individuals have to go through due to the increasing rent prices and financial burdens that arise with gentrification. The information and quotes you included from real people facing these struggles really emphasized the negative impact that gentrification can have on people who are simply trying to take care of themselves and their families. One quote that stuck out to me was from the interviewee named Alejandro, which said “It’s almost impossible to try and feed my kids while I’m working late at night and leaving them home alone, running a huge risk of something happening to them.” This quote truly caught my attention and struck a chord with me. The fact that people have to work such long hours and have to worry about their children back at home all because of unreasonable prices is heartbreaking and is something that no one should have to experience, which you highlighted greatly. You tackled a very important issue in this article, as gentrification is affecting more and more people each day. Even just driving around certain areas, it is impossible to not notice the gentrification taking place and wonder how it is impacting the individuals who originally called such places their home. Your article has really made an impact on me, and likely others as well, and has influenced my perspective and my desire to pay more attention to the harmful changes gentrification brings. You have done a wonderful job bringing light to such a pressing issue.

5. Erica Hodgin 5 months ago

Ivan,
    I really appreciated reading your blog post. You shared some incredibly powerful stories that show the negative consequences of gentrification in very vivid ways. I’m wondering if you have any other sources to complement your interviews that can help explain how the average cost of rent in Oakland has risen in the last number of years and how that might compare to the cost of rent in other part of the country. Also, what do you think the city of Oakland or residents can do to help stop the tide of gentrification. What action steps would you recommend?
    Thanks for sharing what you learned!
    Erica

6. Emily 7 months ago

Dear Ivan
    I think your post was great because you talked about the problems people are facing in oakland . A line that stood out to me was “Secondly, because of the increased rent due to gentrification Oakland residents are experiencing more stress.” because it’s true they have to worry about where they are moving and stress is being created.I agree with your point about gentrification because this is a huge problem happening right now in oakland. Thanks for writing keep it up

7. Hannah 7 months ago

Hey Ivan! Wow what an amazing and informative article. I actually had never heard of the term gentrification in my life before reading your piece. You did a really excellent job at citing your sources in the text so it was easy to refer to what interview you were talking about in your bibliography. Getting to hear the real stories from people affected by gentrification helped me to better understand the definition of the word and the reasoning behind your article. It may be beneficial to include a counter to your argument as to the positive impacts of gentrification to show that you are seeing both sides of the story and to avoid bias. A great article for that would be https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.edu/live/news/1581-impacts-of-gentrification-a-policy-primer/for-students/blog/news.php as it talks about the benefits and the downfalls of gentrification. Overall this is an amazing piece to read and a topic that I believe should be brought into the spotlight a little more. Thank you! Keep up the amazing work!

8. Natalie Risse 7 months ago

Hi Ivan! I really liked this article about such an important topic. I liked your quote “This individual is experiencing having to move due to gentrification, showing that it’s impossible for him to flee from his problems.” The interviews you referenced really strengthened your argument. This link might be good to check out http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.579.8588&rep=rep1&type=pdf . Gentrification does suck, thanks for making such a great article to showcase that. 🙂