1. Carmen 3 months ago

Hello Sugeiry!
    I really enjoyed reading your post and agree with you in that drug abuse is a problem that needs to be addressed more often due to the impact it has on both the individual abusing and those in the community. While drug abuse can be initiated by a variety of reasons, I felt that it was a very important point that you brought up was the effects that just viewing others’ use and abuse can have a large influence on teenagers. As we know, the teenage years are a time of growth and development both physically and mentally, so it is important to provide teens with resources to get the support they need so that they do not self medicate with opioids or alcohol. As you mentioned, the lack of resources is also a very large issue. Sadly many of the resources that are available come at a very high cost or those that are free or made affordable lack proper funding and the necessary amenities to ensure the largest possibility of success for those who choose to seek help. I definitely believe this is a very prominent issue that more people should express interest in learning about and helping. Thank you for informing us of the topic and a great job on your post!

2. Susannah 3 months ago

Hey Sugeiry!
    Drug abuse is such a huge issue, it can happen to all people, unfortunately. The medications put you on a high and as you use it more and more often you’ll become so addicted to the point where you can’t live without it. It’s an issue amongst all populations, mostly college students and older, and while it’s talked about with people there aren’t many resources available. There are also not many resources that are free, some require you to pay thousands of dollars to receive treatment and that is a lot to ask for, some thinks it’s easier to just pay the $20 and then get their next high. My grandma lives in Albany, so it’s close to Oakland, and I can already see how much Oakland needs to change. Your article was well written. I also think that the city of Oakland needs to support their citizens more because how can people from low-income families rise up? It’s a cycle, the poor are meant to stay poor and the rich stay rich. It’s easier for some to work a part-time job and take drugs than to save money and go to college to get a degree, sometimes society makes it impossible for people in poverty to climb out and it’s really sad because as a society we should be lifting each other out, and as soon as people start working together then I believe there would be a decrease in the number of people who do drugs.

3. Sandra 4 months ago

Hi Sugeiry, my name is Sandra and I am currently a student at SJSU. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post because it was interesting to learn more about the homeless rates and opioid usage in Oakland. I have seen similar issues in San Francisco, and it makes me sad that our community and government has failed to help those struggling with drug usage. Along with failing to help users, our community seems to have failed its citizens as well. “Their answer to that is nine times out of 10, ‘If you call us and they are not harming you or your business, we are not going to come out. You can file a report online or you just need to attend the city council meeting and express it there,” I believe this quote and it is unfortunate that this is a common occurrence in cities struggling with these issues. Like you’ve stated, those who use opioids/other drugs tend to end up in situations they can no longer control. If only we were able to do more to help those during difficult times in their life. Thank you for taking the time to inform readers on important issues that may sometimes go unnoticed in our communities.

4. Wendy Rice 5 months ago

Sugeiry, you present important information on a very serious problem in your community – and in our entire country. My son lives in Oakland (I live in the Chicago area), and when I visit him I’ve witnessed the homelessness you describe. There are many reasons for this opioid crisis, and you present some key points, beginning with families – “An adolescent feeling like they are cared for is a very important feeling.” So true! As an 8th grade teacher, I believe our students need to know that adults care about their lives.
    You write, “no one is doing anything to solve this problem.” While your frustration is understandable, I suggest you consider that help and support can be found in sources other than the police; there are organizations in Oakland that are focusing on this issue.
    I appreciate your concern and I encourage you to continue to share your views!

5. Esmeralda 7 months ago

Dear Sugeiry,

I feel grateful that you wrote this as your blog. There was many sentences that stood out to me. One of the sentences were  “These situations end up with the teen being a victim to situations that they can’t control.” This stood out to me because there are many people who deal with situations like abuse or parents using alcohol or drugs. However they can have the option to do drugs everyone has an option, but that doesn’t me that they are all going to chose to do drugs are drink alcohol. Have you ever thought that people do care about what’s going on in Oakland about drugs but people just ignore them because their voice is to small or people think that what they are saying is wrong.

6. Yadira 7 months ago

Dear Sugeiry, You article was one interesting one I didnt think I would come upon. I wasnt aware that Opiods led to a lot of homeless people in Oakland, and I am glad you put that out there. Teens being surrounding by it is not good as well, itll lead them under the freeway like most homeless people becoming like them. You article informed me a lot, Thank you.

Sugeiry 6 months ago

Thank you for reading my article, it means a lot. Something that stood out to me in your comment was that you were not aware of the opioid problem in Oakland. It stood out to me because I think that it’s pretty obvious that there are drug addicts here. Thanks again for reading 🙂