1. Jenn 4 months ago

Hi Emily-
    Thank you for this article. I like how you started this post. Your first 8 sentences really grab the reader by engaging them in the topic through questions and connecting to your personal experience. I also appreciate your annotated bibliography. I am wondering if you have done any research on or seen any examples of older or pre-existing buildings being preserved or re-purposed instead of being torn down? I notice you wrote this in December 2019, could you also provide an update on the Cohen Bray House?

2. Erica Hodgin 4 months ago

Emily,
    Thank you for sharing what you learned and your own experiences of gentrification in Oakland. You have raised some very important points about the negative consequences for many residents, including homeless community members. I’m wondering what you think the city should do to address the rising gentrification? For example, do you think the city should make sure that along with all this new development that is planned they require developers to include affordable housing units? If you could talk to the mayor, for instance, what would you recommend?
    Best,
    Erica

3. Jaqueline 6 months ago

Dear Emily,

I feel bias about your post “Changes In Our Home”. Some sentences that stood out to me were, “Cohen bray a house with so many memories and history is yet waiting to be destroyed” and “The only people that know are those who live near it, this house should get more attention than what it has.” These sentences stood out to me because if the house isn’t getting that much attention, then it shouldn’t be such a big deal that it is getting destroyed. Have you ever thought of instead of writing about something that is going to get removed, just write about another building that has been in Oakland for a long time, that isn’t getting destroyed. Another thing that you should keep in mind should be to get the word out to people that the Cohen bray house is filled with memories and history and it is going to get destroyed so that people can fight to keep it. Other than that your writing was good. Keep up the good work!

Emily 6 months ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I wanted to address what you said about me getting the word out because that was the whole point of this article. I have a question why didn’t my article change your mind about the importance of the house?

4. Jackie lautaimi 6 months ago

Dear Emily,
    I agree that erasure is happening and that people of color are being driven out of Oakland because people are raising rent prices for non white people which is causing let diversity in Oakland.

Emily 6 months ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I had a few questions for you based you comment. what do you think as a community we can do to fix this problem?

5. Elizabeth 6 months ago

Dear Emily,
    I agree that more white people are living in Oakland now and I really like how much feeling a felt while reading your article. It seems like you truly care about your home and that you love the way that it is. But when you said “This is saying that change could be great but not here because of all the people are left homeless” it made think that maybe these people who are recently moving to Oakland might be moving here because they lost their homes elsewhere. There are many horrible stereotypes about Oakland and I personally don’t believe that Oakland would be the first choice for many people. Although people are losing their homes in Oakland and we have to help them, we also have to keep in mind that this problem is going on in other places as well and that everyone is looking for a way to put a roof over their family’s head. In the article How Has Oakland Changed? by Adrian Kudler, it syaesthat “Rents in Oakland jumped 34 percent between 2010 and 2014, and 14 percent in just the last year; the median for a one-bedroom is now an unbelievable $2,300 a month.” Rent is one of the biggest reasons why Oakland is changing so much, so what do you think that we as the residents of Oakland can do to solve the raises in rent? What can we do in order to save our city from being overrun by whites who “are changing are colorful,and artistic place into a nondescript place?” This article helped me see through many different perspectives and I really appreciate that. Thank you for writing this informative piece of writing.

Emily 6 months ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I had a few questions for you based on your comment . I really thought about your question about what we can do as a community for the rent. But do you really think that a small group can make such a movement especially with rent? I feel like maybe we might get ignored