The Internet is full of interesting and especially odd ideas. These ideas sometimes get so successful that even communities about these ridiculous ideas are formed. One of these weird communities is called r/BreadStapledToTrees. People in this community on Reddit go around looking for tree “victims” to staple bread to. You take a picture of it and post it to the Subreddit to brag about. But the question that we need to ask ourselves is “why does the internet staple bread to trees?” and “where did it come from?”

r/BreadStapledToTrees currently has 258000 members in the community. There are 234 million Reddit users in the world. That means that more than 1% of all Reddit users are a part of this odd trend. So obviously a ton of people appreciate it. But no matter where I search I cannot find any history on the community. 

If you google “bread” the Wikipedia definition of bread is: “Bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking”. The definition already defined bread as “a staple food”. In conclusion, stapling is in bread’s nature. Another idea of where this trend came from is when Christ died on the cross. Christ referred to himself as “the bread of life” while talking to his apostles. Soon after he himself was “stabled” (nailed) to a “tree” (wood). For all I know this is where it could come from. 

As I stated earlier these are all conclusions with not many fact-based arguments. But is it a bad thing to staple bread to trees? No, not at all. In fact, by stapling bread to trees, we start helping the trees. Birds build their nests up in the trees and the trees get nutrition from the birds pooping near them. When we staple bread to trees it attracts the birds to the tree. So, stapling bread to trees is a wonderful thing and it helps our forests just a little more by giving them the nutrition they need. That’s why I think we all need to start stapling trees on a regular basis to help the environment. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Bread stapled to trees by Joshua is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ronata 1 week ago

A lot of the discussions on this website tend to be really substantial so reading this made me happy. The internet is definitely full of interesting little things and the fact that you found this both surprises me and intrigues me. The fact that people take the time out of their sometimes, busy days to staple bread to trees (and not always knowing the benefits it has) really brings me hope for a bettering community. I look forward to your next piece, thank you!

2. Maddie 1 week ago

I liked how strange and peculiar this topic is. I would have never thought of something like this to write about and nor do I have any idea where you found this but I love it. I’m glad you shared this with is and I am intrigued to look up more about bread stapling.

3. Joshua 1 week ago

Your article was very eye-opening Josh. I never thought that I would believe that bread could be damaging to trees Josh. I am not still sure about my opinion but will get back to you on that Josh. I’m back Josh. I don’t agree with your opinion Josh. I think the stapled bread hurts the environment Josh. However, I appreciate the different examples you used such as Jesus being “stapled” to a tree and bread being a “staple” food Josh.

4. simon 1 week ago

Very nice job!

5. Addison 1 week ago

This article was a nice change in pace from a lot of the heavier topics being written about! This made me smile and think about all the videos I’ve seen of this. At the time I had no idea there was such a huge community for bread stapling and it makes me think about all the other insane reddit blogs that must exist. I think it’s awesome that this trend is un-harmful and I love finding dumb things like this which might even help small eco systems. I think this is an awesome essay that you could divulge into a lot more with the proper research, you might even be able to contact people within the community and conduct an interview!

6. Viviana 2 weeks ago

I was surprised to find that this trend began somewhere around 2017, and it already consists of 1% of the Reddit community. I also found that people are starting to become more creative with the type and band of bread that they use. Some have even started to use bagels, hamburger buns, rolls, and even pizzas. However, many people become upset when the stapling is harmful to the trees like in the case of Bonsai trees.
    https://www.esquireme.com/content/36907-why-is-the-internet-stapling-slices-of-bread-to-trees-an-investigation

7. Ellie 2 weeks ago

Joshua,

This article definitely caught my attention with the smiling bread picture! When you said “No, not at all. In fact, by stapling bread to trees, we start helping the trees. Birds build their nests up in the trees and the trees get nutrition from the birds pooping near them. When we staple bread to trees it attracts the birds to the tree. So, stapling bread to trees is a wonderful thing and it helps our forests just a little more by giving them the nutrition they need. That’s why I think we all need to start stapling trees on a regular basis to help the environment.” I was surprised by the fact that you gave this silly trend a well thought meaning. I think that you might like this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/bmzk35/weird_trends/. It is a reddit about silly trends. I hope to see more of your writing soon.

Ellie

8. Emma 2 weeks ago

Wow. I am not surprised that this exists on the internet. As for the history of the bread people of reddit, it is hard to track or pinpoint viral jokes and trends. It is kinda scary how vast the internet is. I do have to question whether
    mass stapling of bread to parks and neighborhoods is a health benefit for the birds. I wonder what possible problems could arise.

9. Natalie Risse 2 weeks ago

I like this article a lot, probably because not most people would think to question such a weird internet thing. I liked this statement “The definition already defined bread as “a staple food”. In conclusion, stapling is in bread’s nature. ” I never thought of that, and it is a stretch but it’s something. I would recommend better sources for a stronger essay. This made me laugh, thanks for that.