Are We Under Appreciating Food Truck Workers?

Do you like food trucks? Well then you probably don’t like them enough if they can close down any minute. Food truck workers are so underpaid that they have to sleep in their own trucks just to keep up with their schedule, but coming from these hard workers is food that is cheap, delicious and just as excellent as a restaurant or possibly better. Food trucks sell food that is just as amazing as any other high costing restaurant but these hard workers are so underpaid that they work extra days to even make a living off the food truck business. Based on research, Oakland residents should eat more at food trucks because the food is just as delicious as any other food place and full of hardworking people.

The quality of the food that they sell at food trucks is just as equal as any other expensive restaurant food. Food that’s sold at food trucks are made with high quality ingredients but are sold cheap. There’s a big difference between restaurant food and food truck food is that food trucks sell the food for affordable prices and sizable portions while restaurants on the other hand sell the food at high costs and in some random portions at times, but what they do have in common is that they both sell amazing food with some divine quality. According to the article “12 Impressive Facts On The Food Truck Industry” it explains that, “Over 90 percent of diners rated food truck quality as excellent or good and over 80 percent of them used words like fun, exciting, new, different and unique when asked why they dined there” (Milbrath). As shown, the public really enjoys the quality of food that’s sold at food trucks. Based on the interview from Erick Gutierrez, an Oakland resident “I know it’s fatter but it’s faster, cheaper and better than restaurant food”

Additionally, beyond the food being good, the people who work there are diligent and work hard. Based on the article “How Do Taco Trucks Manage To Be So Cheap And Still Function” It states that “The average food truck manager makes $13.76 per hour, according to indeed.com” (Lecklitner). They work hard by working a lot of hours but not getting paid a good salary. These food truck workers are getting underpaid but are still working in the food truck industry but they can shut down at any minute from lack of income.

In conclusion these food truck workers make some fantastic food but they are under appreciated, so in the end, do you really appreciate food trucks as much as you thought you did?  

Annotated Bibliography

Lecklitner, Ian. “How Do Taco Trucks Manage to Be So Cheap and Still Function?” MEL Magazine, MEL Magazine , 6 June 2019, melmagazine.com/en-us/story/how-do-taco-trucks-manage-to-be-so-cheap-and-still-function.

This article discusses how taco truck owners can manage a taco truck while selling there food for real cheap.This article passes the CRAAP test because it was published in February of 2019.MEL Magazine is reliable because they research and interview people about the topic and or ask people that work in what they are researching. The writer of this article has written multiple times before for this article.

1. Bianka 3 months ago

Hi Christian!
    I am a student at San Jose State University, SJSU. I want to start off by mentioning that you did an excellent job on writing this and chose a very unique and interesting topic! I learned a lot from what you wrote and it made me think a lot more about our food truck workers. One thing that stood out to me was that you mentioned that food truck workers are underpaid. I agree with you on this because there are so many food truck workers who cook so delicious and yet do not get many clients because some people may not trust their business or whatever. Along with this, it also stood out to me that you explained how food from food trucks are as delicious and excellent as a restaurant. This is also true. I have been to many food trucks where the food is extremely good and tasty, better than some restaurants that I have been to. However I do have some questions for you. Has this ever happened to you, where food from food trucks taste better? Have you ever thought of all the hard work that they are doing, while being trapped in the heat inside the truck? A quote that I really liked was when you mentioned, “food trucks are made with high quality ingredients but are sold cheap.” I completely agree with you on this. I once went to a food truck where they sell tacos and they were way better than from a previous restaurant I had gone to. The tacos are the food truck were $2 and at the restaurant $4, ridiculous. This is important to me as well because anything and anytime you buy off of food trucks, the workers are greatly appreciated. They have to rent the space they are taking up and have to buy or rent the food truck as well. As you mentioned at the beginning, it also stood out to me when you said that workers sleep in food trucks. To me, that is sad, due to the fact that sometimes they do not get sleep and work. I personally like food trucks better than restaurants and I hope they can get acknowledged more. Good job writing this. I enjoyed reading it.
    Thank you.

2. Mia 3 months ago

Dear Christian

Your post “Are We Under Appreciating Food Truck Workers” stood out to me because I never really thought about how under-appreciated food truck workers are. After reading your post, I completely agree with you.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “food truck workers are so underpaid that they have to sleep in their own trucks just to keep up with their schedule, but coming from these hard workers is food that is cheap, delicious and just as excellent as a restaurant or possibly better” I think this is interesting because when I go to buy food from food truck workers they are very hard working. They are always working at a fast paste, trying to satisfy their customers. I also agree that their food is just as delicious or even better than a restaurant yet they have to work under harder conditions. If it’s freezing cold outside then they are also freezing. If it is super hot outside then they are working under hot conditions yet, their food is still delicious. In comparison to restaurants, they work under a heated or air conditioned atmosphere.

Another sentence that I was interested in was “food trucks sell food that is just as amazing as any other high costing restaurant but these hard workers are so underpaid that they work extra days to even make a living off the food truck business” This stood out for me because now that I think about it, food truck workers wake up everyday not knowing if they are going to make enough or any money at all yet they still work very hard not matter what. Like you said, they have to work extra days to be able to make a living.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was buying food at a food truck and it was around dinner time so it was very busy. A customer showed up very upset because they had ordered on the phone a while ago and their order was still not ready. The customer was very disrespectful and did not consider the workers working in the Food truck. Even with the customer being rude and disrespectful, the food truck workers were respectful. Their busy clientele shows how good their food is however, it also shows how rude and unappreciated food truck workers are.

3. Alyssa S. 3 months ago

Dear Christian,
    What an interesting article you wrote! This issue is not something I had ever really thought about previously, so reading your article truly informed me about the struggles food truck workers face. One of the things that stood out to me the most was the fact that these workers possibly have to “sleep in their own trucks just to keep up with their schedule” and “work extra days to even make a living off the food truck business.” These quotes made me imagine what the life of a food truck worker must be like, with potentially excruciatingly long work hours that still fail to provide them with a large income. Do you know of any further research that deeper investigates the causes and effects of food truck workers being so underpaid? Also, the statistics you included struck me as well and made me wonder why are food truck workers forced to struggle so much if so many people claim to enjoy their food and support them? Clearly, as you pointed out in this article, people are not support these workers and business as much as they say they are or should be. Because of this, your article has altered my view of food trucks workers and has motivated me to attempt to show more support to these workers by buying from them more often, rather than larger restaurants who do not need my support as much as these smaller businesses do. You did a great job of highlighting how dedicated and hardworking these individuals are, even when they do not receive great pay.

4. Amanda 4 months ago

Hey Christian!

I’m a student at San Jose State University and I thought your post was very interesting. It was definitely a unique topic. I also love food trucks and I agree that most of time, the best foods comes from food trucks and are usually so affordable! I was shocked to read that many food trucker owners also sleep in their food trucks, I never knew that.

During my senior year of high school, my ASB class hosted our first ever food truck event! We called it Food Truck Friday and our committee reached out to local food truck vendors and asked them to participate in our event. It was an event that occurred after-school, we had music, live performances by other students/clubs, and the food trucks surrounded our quad area. It was a public event and a great way for the food trucks to get their businesses out there and get new customers! It was very successful and the whole thing was student-led. Perhaps this is something you would like to consider and suggest to your high school’s associated student body.

Best,
    Amanda (:

5. Kasey Kinch 4 months ago

Hi Christian,
    My name is Kasey and I am a student at San Jose State University. I thought your blog post was great! I love food trucks, they serve amazing quality food at great prices and your correct the portions given are awesome! This is a topic that never would have crossed my mind, people working in this industry are underpaid. It’s terrible to hear that employees are sleeping in their food trucks due to lack of income. You stated ” These food truck workers are getting underpaid but are still working in the food truck industry but they can shut down at any minute from lack of income”. These workers do work hard for little amounts of money and it would be awful if the trucks closed. When I visit food trucks I often leave large tips for the workers. If everyone did that and gave what they could, maybe we could make a difference in the quality of food truck employees lives? Thanks for the information!

6. Kristen 6 months ago

Hi Christian! To start out, this topic really struck my eye. Mainly because I haven’t thought much about issues surrounding food truck workers – which by the way, I love food trucks! I really appreciated how you cited an article in paragraph two. This certainly gives credibility to your argument. Additionally, you did a great job of laying out why the topic should matter to us, namely, because the food from food trucks is delicious. Your post brought some questions to my mind. I wonder if money is the only form of appreciating food truck workers? Perhaps people are appreciating them in other ways, say, through praise. What do you think? I’d love to hear back from you!

7. Ivan 7 months ago

Dear Christian, I like your article and its an amazing piece but, I disagree that food truck food is high quality food your article states that “Over 90 percent of diners rated food truck quality as excellent or good and over 80 percent of them used words like fun, exciting, new, different and unique when asked why they dined there” (Milbrath). But if you look up the percentage of how many people don’t enjoy food truck food is 60% according to FoodTruckEmpire.com. (a counter argument would have been good to show both sides of the story).