I annotated the article, Young Life at the Border. Many students that live in Mexico cross the border into the US daily to go to school. These students live isolated and in constant fear. To be able to go to schools within the US, students must lie about their residency and risk being fined or even incarcerated. Young Life was created to build a middle ground between life in the US and Mexico for students. This organization creates a community of support among young students in difficult situations. It has also inspired many Young Life leaders to help students, like offering them a temporary home if things are bad in their own home. Andrea Perez Lopez is a young 24 old college students who travels between Juarez, Mexico and Texas to go to school. When she first started school she was surprised at how lonely she felt. When she joined Young Life she was able to figure herself out through her religion and her community.

Some may argue that Young Life encourages students to break the law and lie to school districts. However, Young Life’s only purpose is to help these students better themselves in the hope that they will build a better future for themselves by giving them a community to lean on.

1. Emanuel 7 months ago

Dear Viviana
    I am intrigued by your post , “Young Life at The Border,” because you used an experience from someone who traveled to Texas from Mexico to go to school. I also like how you added that young life is meant to aid children in other countries to go to school.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ” Andrea Perez Lopez is a young 24 old college students who travels between Juarez, Mexico and Texas to go to school. When she first started school she was surprised at how lonely she felt” I think this is important because most people don’t know how it feels to be put in school in a different country where the language they speak is different from your own.
    Another sentence that I found to be impressive was: “To be able to go to schools within the US, students must lie about their residency and risk being fined or even incarcerated.” This stood out for me because not only are the students left feeling isolated, but they are also taking a huge risk of being in trouble with the law.
    I do agree with you that “Young Life” should not be seen as something bad but helpful. One reason I say this is allowing children to get a better education than what they get in their home can help them to improve their country.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to know if there are any other programs such as “Young Life” that aid the children of poor or non-stable countries.

2. Amani 7 months ago

I love this perspective of trying to better and help you immigrate children who are coming to the US and are trying to fit in and blend in. Yet, I agree it’s hard at times considering the circumstances and I love that Young lives exists for them to be able to find a place in the US that tells them you belong and we are here to help. The information that you have provided is excellent and needs to be shared more around our country today. Especially now with our immigration rights changing, I feel like this is a good way to show that some of these immigrants aren’t alone and that they will get through this.

3. Casey 8 months ago

Viviana I really like how you give a viewpoint that not everyone gets too see. The information provided is crucial for everyday American’s to see in forming their opinions.