Religious freedom has become on of the most debated topics that has been brought about. In America the Constitution states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” This shows that people are free to believe and exercise in any religion they please to exercise. Often times there is disagreement about the separation between church and state. The other side of the spectrum show disagreements of religious exercises imposing decisions on others.

The problems that came from the topic was should people be able to practice their religions freely in a public space. Both sides of the argument expresses a great deal of pros and cons on the subject. Other claims made in the argument were a separation between church and state, the two so that other religious views are not imposed on the outsiders.  Most counterclaims in the argument were that implications of religious practices shouldn’t be around government agencies, such as schools, post offices, and other institutions. 

Disagreements often escalate to legal challenges regarding public space and who can use it. Meaning sides from both groups try to practice freely in open space, and others try restrictions to stop the situation. The differing subjects clash on different matters between the pledge of allegiance, religious rules being displayed out in public, and the right for businesses to only serve those who share the same beliefs. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Religious Freedom by Deng is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tomas 1 week ago

Deng, I definitely think that freedom of religion is such a significant topic to be talking about. In our world today, there is still discrimination and prejudice that surrounds certain religions. As a predominantly Christian nation, the outsiders get no attention, and almost get hatred for the fact that they are a different religion. Here’s is a link offering up some frequently asked question about religion that I found very interesting: https://www.aclu.org/other/your-right-religious-freedom. Religion has become a delicate topic to talk about, and I am glad that you displayed your point on here. I think the practice of religion should be free to all, and if it is kept separate from state and government, it should be good. Religion offers much diversity to our nation, and I found another link showing how religion can influence our society in different ways: http://marripedia.org/effects_of_religious_practice_on_society. Deng, thank you for writing about this, and I am excited to see what comes from you next.