Racism is defined as prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race projecting the idea that their race is superior. This matter has been around for many centuries, and even though it has been diminishing through our history, it still exists today. People have fought, protesting, and done their part to help raise awareness for this issue, and with them, our nation has progressed completely.

In an article written by Christa Case Bryant, she talks about two white women who have taken a different approach to preventing racism in the world. The two women, Laura Horwitz and Adelaide Lancaster, have cofounded the nonprofit “We Stories” in 2015. The two white mothers started in St. Louis, the country’s 5th-most segregated city. The problem that these two women see is that racism has plagued their city and nation, and is everywhere in society; children can even see discrimination in older children’s books. Horwitz and Lancaster see that racism in the world breeds more racism, and to end the madness, they have to stop it at its core: adolescence.

We Stories works to stop racism from the ground up. The nonprofit works to raise good-hearted kids with a strong foundational knowledge of of diversity. They offer books for kids to read that introduce these real-world issues to these younger kids. The books supply stories of different individuals coming from different background to create conversation and questioning between the kids and parents about race and diversity. It is an easy entrance into such large issues because of the accessibility and safety of a children’s book. The purpose of this solution is to inform children about some things in the real world could help generations to come with this conflict of racism. No matter what, as children grow up they will learn to understand racism, this nonprofit helps kids learn about racism compassionately with support from peers.

The nonprofit received some backlash at the fact that the stories somewhat mainly focus on white families. The two white moms responded by saying that in white families, there is the “greatest need for more robust conversations about race and racism.” Racism isn’t talked about much in white families as much as other diverse communities, so this helps get the ball rolling in certain households. The solution seems feasible. It helps children grow up with love and support to understand such hateful things in the world. The author says that people who have used this range from 67 zip codes, so the usage ranges drastically. I think it could definitely affect any community. If you start at the base of the problem, I see it changing the environment significantly. There are apparent changes that have occurred that have shown progress in St. Louis, and this nonprofit has helped, and continues to help young children learn about some of the truths of the world.

My NowComments Post

CC BY-SA 4.0 Preventing Racism Through Children’s Books by Tomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Horyna 2 weeks ago

Hi Tomas!
    This is such a interesting organization! I agree that to solve major issues such as racism, we, “have to stop it at its core – adolescence.” This concept reminds me of the phrase, “racism is not taught, it is learned.” I am interested to see if the children now reading the books produced by We Stories will have a different perspective on prejudice and discrimination once they are old enough to understand them. Along with children’s books, the wording and content of history books is crucial to a child’s awareness and premonition to racism. I think you would enjoy the following video by Vox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOkFXPblLpU. It explains how textbooks were written in the South after the Civil War. The video highlights The Daughters of the Confederacy and they kept the confederacy alive by teaching young children that the Civil War was not about slavery. It also touches on how the presence of Confederate Monuments impacts communities and social interactions. I would love to hear more from you on this topic!