It is no secret that teen pregnancy comes with a lot of risks. I annotated an article that talked about a plan in Colorado that has significantly reduced the number of teen birth rates and the number of abortions performed per year. In 2008, Colorado expanded funds into providing affordable, long-term contraception and family planning. They found that this plan was to thank for the 57% drop in teen births within 2009-2017, and a 64% decrease in teen abortions. The article states that critics of the plan say that it is way too expensive.

The solution that the article offers is unfortunately not cost-effective. Colorado received an anonymous donation of $70 million to put towards this program, but not every state or community has this kind of money. Colorado clearly made good use of the money they received (as shown in the results), but it is unrealistic to expect every state to put this kind of money toward something so controversial. The article mentions that expanding sex education is another way to detour teen pregnancy, and it is much more cost-effective and realistic for other communities.