Apple Seed had a problem with the current teaching methods in the urban setting of New York city. New York was requiring standardized testing for students. Teachers were focusing more on preparing students for testing than teaching science. On average, elementary schools were only devoting 40 minutes of class time to science instruction each week. Thus Apple Seed began. They reached out to 4,000 public schools in the area to kick start a garden program that provides a fun and interactive way to teach children. Apple Seed has made progress in effectively teaching young students science and math.

Learning takes place in the entire process of gardening time. Students plant vegetables and flowers in both inside and outside gardens. They care for them up until harvest when they sell their produce locally. Students also take advance of their produce to learn how to cook. This way students can strength math skills as well.

Many teachers support the program. They express that allowing children to explore and experiment is crucial for an effective learning environment. The idea is to have students refrain from regurgitating memorized answers and practice their ability to formulate thoughtful answers, interpretations and inquiries. Apple Seed has done its best to pursue this goal.

garden photo

Photo by HomeSpot HQ