In the U.S., the most common use for medical marijuana is pain control. It has been found to be quite effective for chronic pain. Patients who use medical marijuana claim that it allows them to resume their previous activities without feeling completely out of it and disengaged. It is a safer alternative that opiates and has been found to be a fantastic muscle relaxant. However, being legal in multiple states does not mean that marijuana is completely safe.

Heavy marijuana use (daily or near-daily) can do damage to memory, learning, and attention. Marjuana has also been linked to anxiety, depression and even schizophrenia. Smoking marijuana, or any product, can possibly expose you to harmful substances as well. This can damage your lungs and cardiovascular system. 

Because marijuana is still listed as a schedule one drug by the FDA, testing on the effects of marijuana for medicinal purposes has been extremely limited. It is still considered to be addictive, and 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. Even though marijuana provides positive benefits to cancer patients and those facing chronic pain, there are still risks that have to be considered.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What’s the Risk in Using Medical Marijuana? by Graham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.