There has been an ongoing debate about the death penalty. The big issue behind the death penalty is that people across the country think its inhumane for someones life to be taken. The governments viewpoints are very misleading considering that different states have been writing bills to abolish the death penalty. States like Maryland, Delaware, and Washington have all abolished the death penalty as capital punishment. Other states have  a different perspective on the death penalty and still have the death penalty such as Florida, Colorado, and Texas. 

Other arguments that have been made towards the debate is the cost of life in prison and the cost of death. Studies have shown that the cost of killing someone with capital punishment actuallys cost more than life in prison.“In Kansas, defense costs for death penalty trials averaged $400,000 each. In contrast, the defense cost for non-capital trial cases averages just $100,000.” This shows another point into why the death penalty shouldn’t be a punishment for a capital crime. 

That being said, the death penalty is a very controversial subject because of the outside factors leading up to a decision. Most people would say the death penalty shouldn’t be legal because it gives the murderer what he wants. Instead of dealing with consequences, they’re running away from the mistakes they have made. Others think its inhumane for another human to kill someone as a punishment. In conclusion the debate over the death penalty is a controversial subject which causes you to think from both different viewpoints.