Almost all schools have a dress code. Private schools, public schools, and charter schools all usually have a dress code. Some schools may even require uniforms. At most schools there are required lengths for skirts, shorts, and shirt sleeves. Shorts and skirts may be a required length to the person wearing them’s fingertips or to the knee. Shirts may require sleeves and to cover the entire torso. But it seems these requirements are only applied to females.

The major reason for these guidelines is that it may be distracting for students learning environments. There was a story of a young girl who wore a razor top tank top and was sent home for being a distraction. The next day she came to school in a tank top with “#iamnotadistraction” written on the inside of her arm. This hashtag was created in 2014 to raise awareness of the issue that seems to only be happening in the more recent years. It is hopeful to change these dress codes so that students can express themselves appropriately and feel comfortable in their learning environments. https://www.wgbh.org/news/2017/05/22/local-news/school-dress-codes-are-tougher-girls-boys

1. Honam 8 months ago

Hi Madelyn,
    I agree with your idea that dress code should be changed to make students feel more co=mfortable in their learning envirnments. Moreover, dressing is also a way for students to express themselves. Therefore, changing dress code seem necessary.n Here is an intersting story about weird dress code. https://www.change.org/p/donna-spacek-change-their-stand-on-the-dress-code-and-re-evaluate-the-reasons-that-our-daughters-are-being-given-for-not-being-allowed-to-wear-shorts

sincerely,
    Honam Cao