Recently the Rienmann family found out their family has some dark ties. They found out that their ancestors Albert Reimann Sr. and Albert Reimann Jr. supported Hitler. They used forced labor to help build and grow their industrial chemical company. As David Kamenetzky (board chairman) said “To confront this was quite an emotional wake-up call for the family”.

After finding this out the family donated $5.5 million to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany. This organization distributes supplies and money to holocoust survivors so they can live out the rest of their years free of worry. These survivors had their dignity and humanity ripped away from them, and by receiving these donations they can once again live with dignity. 

Though this father son duo were early supporters of the Nazi Regieme they never told their family. It took hiring a historian inorder for them to find documents leading them to this discovery (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8878/krispy-kremes-owners-donate-millions-to-atone-for-nazi-familys-use-of-forced-labor). While this will always be apart of the Riemann family history they have tried to make it up to those who suffered. 

1. Kaitlyn 8 months ago

Sophia,
    Your article gave quite a surprise. I had no idea that the original owners of Krispy Kreme are ancestors of Nazi supporters. I wonder how it feels to know that your ancestors were supporters of one of the worst people in world history. I think the owners of Krispy Kreme did the right in donating to the Holocaust survivors to help right the wrongs of their ancestors. I wonder what other famous companies have interesting ancestors.

2. Christian 9 months ago

This surprised me greatly. I love Krispy Kreme donuts and this made me stop and think for a moment. I think this article could open up a lot of discussions about ethics. Are the sins of the father the sins of the son? What makes a company evil? Should we support businesses with terrible histories? All questions I asked myself while still wanting a donut.

3. Cesar 9 months ago

Hi, I’m a actually in shocked and amaze that the owners of Krispy Kreme have there ancestors as Nazis supporters. To be honest I imagining that they feel terrible about knowing the fact that your families legacies and history is connected to the time when the Nazis were executing and slaving them in concentrated camps. If I were them I would the same things that they did for helping families that are Jews.