The book, the first part last from Angela Johnson might leave a reader feeling interested because what is in this book can happen to any of us at a young age. 

The book goes back and forth between “then” chapters when Bobby was eight years old and “now” chapters when he was sixteen. Bobby is telling his own story.

Bobby says he didn’t sleep through the night when he was eight years old. But he wasn’t the only one who wasn’t sleeping through the night. Bobby’s mom used to come into his room, sit cross by his bed, and start playing video games with Bobby in the dark. 

Time passes, and Bobby turns sixteen. At this time Bobby started skipping school with his friends K. Boy and J. L. They have good adventures through the city and go to places like the Empire State building because they never went there before.

We learn something interesting about one of the characters, Bobby on page 4  where he says: “So last week when it looked like Feather probably wasn’t ever going to sleep through the night, I lay her on my stomach and breathed her in. My daughter is eleven days old.”  This is not typical of how this character acts in this book, so far. In the “then” chapters, he often seems to be exploring and escaping school and his responsibilities. This quote shows how his daughter means the world to him.

After this part of the book, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this book because this could happen to anyone. They might be going through this now. What’s probably going to happen next is Bobby is going to try to take care of his daughter even though he is a teenager in school.

Photo by Free-Photos (Pixabay)