For my monologue project, I selected lines from one of the most engaging scenes from Shakespeare’s play, “Macbeth.” I chose to learn Act 1, Scene 7, lines 12-28 as my monologue. In this scene Macbeth is feeling guilty he’s saying who should against Duncan’s murderer shut the door however he knows he has to kill him because his wife is brainwashing him into thinking its the right thing to do. He’s saying he should not bear the knife himself that he shouldn’t kill his guest! Macbeth is contemplating killing such a great man! He knows Duncan is a great king and he feels so guilty that he’s going to kill him. What comes across in this monologue is that Macbeth is truly going crazy. This monologue reminds me of when I know I shouldn’t do something but I take the chance and do it anyways because of that mindset that YOLO – you only live once. Macbeth and lady Macbeth only have 1 life each and lady Macbeth is determined to be queen of Scotland and Macbeth is determined to prove his masculinity to his wife! It’s basically peer pressure by his wife. Like if friends pressure you to do something you know you shouldn’t but you do it anyway because you trust your friends! Macbeth trusts Lady Macbeth and kills King Duncan because that’s what she wants.
 The monologue consists of Macbeth’s soliloquy about murdering King Duncan. This
monologue is heard by himself.  The monologue takes place in Macbeth’s castle. This is important because he’s losing his mind and staying home, and this makes Macbeth feel Frantic, worried and anxious. 

The main conflict in this scene is Macbeth thinking about murdering King Duncan! Duncan is an amazing king and a great man, and Macbeth is plotting to kill him I say this because of the way Macbeth has been going crazy and losing his mind. Macbeth starts to feel apprehensive for what he has done. This is part of a pattern for Macbeth where Macbeth starts losing his mind. Over time this builds up to be a main conflict in the story of Macbeth.

In the scene where this monologue occurs, Macbeth is quite a strange character. This is especially true after Lady Macbeth put his masculinity in question. Macbeth becomes bold and courageous. This seems to contradict his previous state of mind earlier in the play. 

In the monologue, words like “He’s here in double trust” as well as the word choice in the sentence “First as I am his kinsman and his subject” reflect that Macbeth is committed to prove his masculinity to Lady Macbeth and to become king. The words “and pity like a naked newborn babe” represents the feeling of worry that Macbeth is experiencing after murdering King Duncan contributing to the overall deterioration of his mental health.
If it was up to me to stage this scene, I would most likely make the actors playing Macbeth in a bedroom in order to set the mood of almost an anxiety attack. This might represent Macbeth‘s feelings of betrayal after he realizes that He murdered such a great king. I would also add some props to the scene, for Macbeth to perhaps hit himself in order to show guilt after he  murdered king Duncan. If I were to direct the actors, then I would most likely encourage Macbeth to be very anxious, and give off a feeling of being frustrated and hysterical in an effort to make his character believable.

In this monologue, Shakespeare used certain poetic elements to enhance the emotion being portrayed in the scene. As I mentioned before, the main theme in this scene would be the rise and fall of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth and the use of poetic elements really reinforces the impact of Macbeth’s emotions. For example, Shakespeare used soliloquies as a feature in his writing to provide dramatic effect on the characters mental wellbeing, as well as Macbeth’s mindset.
All in all, the monologue in Act 1, Scene 7 is a prime example of an effective piece of writing by Shakespeare that he soliloquies really express the rise and fall of Macbeth.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Michael’s monologue (act 1 scene 7) by Michael is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.