School Uniforms

In this article about school uniforms, I learned about all of the benefits of having a school uniform. These benefits are not easy to see when you are wearing one, because all that you can think of is that you don’t like it. But the benefits outweigh the cons in my opinion. One of these benefits is that by wearing a school uniform, you eliminate a source of bullying. Everyone will be wearing the same thing so you would not be able to make fun of someone else’s clothing. Another benefit is that the school uniform promotes learning. By eliminating one stressor in someone’s life, of choosing what to wear to school every day. The child can focus on learning rather than what other kids are wearing. A school uniform also forms a sense of a team and school spirit that is hard to find at some other schools. 

School uniforms are viewed in many different ways, some like them, and others do not. Some cons of wearing a uniform are that it restricts freedom and expression. By having strict uniform students are not able to express themselves, make them stand out. In an article about the pros and cons of school uniforms, it talks about how if the school focuses on school uniform infractions, it takes away other important problems happening around the school. For example, if a school spends the majority of its time on making sure that its students are in uniform, it detracts from more effective efforts to solve ongoing problems more important than a school uniform. 

I learned a lot by reading these articles, especially because I have to wear one. I understand the pros and cons of schools requiring one. It just depends on what you are looking for in a school setting that decides if uniforms are good or not. If you like the uniformity and “teams” of a uniform, or if you prefer to express yourself in different and unique ways. A uniform both appeals and repels students and schools. You just have to know what you want. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pros and Cons of School Uniforms by Sydney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 1 month ago

Hello Sydney! I really enjoyed reading your post because it relates to us because we have to wear uniforms to school. I think uniforms are a good thing because you don’t have to worry what you are going to wear everyday. You also said some good points and here is an article that talks about it a little more. https://school-uniforms.procon.org

2. Kaan 1 month ago

Hi Sydney,
    I enjoy this post because it is very relatable, mostly because we go to a school that requires uniforms. I agreed with all of the points you made regarding how uniforms prevented kids making fun.
    Here is. a website that talks about the advantages and disadvantages of uniforms
    https://connectusfund.org/20-disadvantages-and-advantages-of-school-uniforms
    hope this helps,
    enjoy,
    Kaan

3. Audrey 1 month ago

Hi Sydney,
    I like your post because it relates to us since we do wear uniforms everyday to school. I had not really thought about them past not being able to express ourselves and that we don’t have the stress of picking outfits each morning so it was interesting to read other pros and cons. Here is a link to a study on school uniforms conducted for students in Nevada who have to wear uniforms. https://www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2013/school-uniform-study You share good points and they make wearing the uniforms not as bad as I thought.
    -Audrey

4. Pauline 1 month ago

Hello Sydney! I agree with you that the uniforms are good! I found this article explaining more reasons why they are good https://www.frenchtoast.com/why-school-uniforms I personally like how it says that uniforms are good because it eliminates feeling like you have to empress and just focusing on school. I also like how the uniforms are so easy and that I don’t have to worry about what I’m going to wear everyday!
    -Pauline