I am a single Black women who raised my two daughters by hard work as a man on the field all day, breaking ice to get water for washing doing the best so Maggie and Dee can be proud of me. I wish to be recompensed for all the obstacles that I have overcome so my family can have enough to eat and wear.

One of the most traumatic situations occurred to Maggie. Sometimes I can still hear the flames and feel Maggie’s arms sticking to me, her hair smoking and her dress falling off her in little black papery flakes. This heartbreak event makes her to be conservative, shy, insecure about her personality and acceptance in society. She prefers to stay at home as women used to do with their husbands. The man goes to work in order to have an income in the house when the woman is in charge of the house’s duty and taking care of the children.

Dee is totally different she wanted nice things like, a yellow, organdy dress to wear to her graduation from high school. At sixteen she had a style of her own -and knew what style was. She is more opened. She wants to travel around the world representing her race as a high heritage without knowing or appreciating the origin of her race how black people struggle in order to have the education that she is having right now.

I only had the opportunity to be slave who has sold like an object without any value. I got up early every single day to work in the cotton fields with the sun rays burning my skin. Now I am happy that this torment ended and finally I can enjoy my old and memorable house. Where only Maggie know the significant of all these walls, how our family fought to keep the house alive.

Now, I want to send my two only daughter outside to the society I know is going to be painful for Maggie having these scars in her skin but she as to be a strong woman who believe in herself more than other people’s opinion. Dee I know that after finishing your education is going to be enough time, so you had learned the real value of life.

After all, I am going to be proud I believe that one day both of you are going to be a change for the country creating equality.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mom Obligation by Emely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. El-Hassn 1 week ago

Dear Emely Lopez:

I am astonished by your short story, “Mom Obligation” because it reinforces the cruel environment of living as an African American at this time. It also shows the power of education and how it could change minds.

One set of lines that stands out for me is, “I only had the opportunity to be a slave who has sold like an object without any value. I got up early every single day to work in the cotton fields with the sun rays burning my skin.” I think these lines are very thoughtful because it shows that the mother knows the true power of education despite the fact that she wasn’t able to get an education because she didn’t have a choice.

Another paragraph that stands out for me is, “After all, I am going to be proud I believe that one day both of you are going to be a change for the country creating equality.” I think this section is> intense because it shows that the mother really believes and depends on her daughters to change the world that she wasn’t able to change by herself.

Your story helps me to understand “Everyday Use” that I once read. It talks about a girl called Maggie who feels she is better than her sister because she is highly educated. I think that we don’t get equal chances in life, so we can’t say that someone is better than others.

Thanks for your story. I look forward to seeing what you make next. Your way of writing is very emotional and realistic. I hope to see you writing more stories that are history-related and non-fiction.

2. Fatema rahman 1 month ago

Dear Emely,

I am very inspired by your short story, “Mom Obligation ,” because this story show that how strong a women can be. in this story mom had to do lot of hard work to raise her two daughter. she didn’t think about herself. she want to make her two daughter happy and she took all the hard time to herself.

One line ,” I am a single Black women who raised my two daughters by hard work as a man on the field all day, breaking ice to get water for washing doing the best so Maggie and Dee can be proud of me,” that stands out for me because this shows that the women can do anything. and hard life make us learn lot of thing and make us strong.

Your story helps me to understand, “Everyday use” story more clearly and mama’s personality and what she did for her daughter.

Thanks for your story ” Everyday use” I look forward to seeing what you make next.