The article that I choose is titled “Lightning struck near the North Pole 48 times. It’s not normal.” published August 13, 2019 on National Geographic. This article is about 48 recorded lightning strikes close to the North Pole. The reason why this is so unusual is because the way lighting is produced. Lighting needs atmospheric instability when cold air sits on top of wetter and colder air. The problem with these strikes is the fact that it has never been recorded in the past. These were the most up north strikes shown on a weather forecaster. All of the information gathered in this article is from The Alaskian Weather Forecaster.

The reason why I choose this article was because I have never heard of lightning strikes in a very cold climate. My reaction to reading this article was confusion. I didn’t know that actions caused by humans can have this big of a difference to the northern climate.

To be honest, the reason why I chose to take this class was to fill the gap in my schedule. But after sitting for 2 weeks of class periods I realized that this class is just like Earth Systems but with more physical activity. I enjoyed Earth systems a lot and I can see a lot of the same material being reflected into this class. After reading the article I am excited to have some of my questions answered. I look forward to learning more about the Earth and some of the things that happen because of natural properties.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Lighting Strikes North Pole by Riley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.