• Fossil Fuels are formed from plants and animals that lived hundreds of millions of years ago and became buried deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Then these transform into combustible materials we use today for fuel. Today, we are dependent on fossil fuels to heat our homes, run our cars, power our offices, etc. Nearly 80% of our energy comes from burning fossil fuel. 
  • At the current rate of global energy demands, fossil fuels cannot replenish fast enough to meet these growing needs. The major consumption of these fuels has been the leading cause of methane and greenhouse gases– the leading cause of global warming and climate change. Not only does fossil fuel have a negative impact on the environment, but it plays a big role in public health. Air pollution caused by the emission of the gases leads to things like acid rain, smog, and haze. These issues lead to health problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and other chronic respiratory diseases.
  • Renewable energy is energy from sources that are naturally replenishing but flow-limited. This includes solar, wind, and water. With renewable energy, there is significantly less methane and greenhouse gases emitted. When comparing renewable energy to fossil fuels, renewable energy is cleaner, easier to sustain over time, expanding more rapidly, and sometimes even cheaper than fossil fuels. Based on this, renewable energy seems to be a clear solution to the leading problem of global warming and climate change. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fossil Fuel vs. Renewable Energy by Kaan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.