Nuclear negotiations between the United States and North Korea are becoming complicated and important. A nuclear attack would be a deadly consequence to any failed negotiations, and it is unclear what North Korea is going to do with their nuclear weapons. 

North Korea recently said that the United States can expect a “Christmas gift” if nuclear negotiations are not dealt with before they want them done. According to most sources, nobody is sure what exactly this means for the United States. Is this a threat? Should we be concerned of a nuclear attack from North Korea? Apparently, North Korea does not seem satisfied with the way in which its relationship with the United States has been carried out recently. According to a CNN article, 

“…Ri Thae Song, a first vice minister at the North Korean Foreign Ministry working on US affairs, accused US policy makers of leveraging talks with Kim Jong Un for domestic political gain” (Berlinger 2019). 

Along with these unclear messages from North Korea, we also have evidence that North Korea has been testing their nuclear weapons. North Korea reported that they had conducted a nuclear test that they described as “very important” (Denyer, Joo Kim 2019). The Washington Post clarifies this by saying in their article, 

“The test paves the way for North Korea to launch a satellite or intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) around the end of this year, experts said,…” (Denyer, Joo Kim 2019). 

With all of the mixed signals and ominous reports, it’s hard to say what is going to happen next between North Korea and the United States when it comes to nuclear conflict. It’s clear that policy makers need to be more strategic when communicating and negotiating with countries such as North Korea, who are known to be dangerous.

1. https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/04/asia/north-korea-christmas-gift-kim-jong-un-intl-hnk/index.html
  2. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/12/07/north-korea-claims-have-carried-out-very-important-rocket-test/