Underage drinking is a severe issue in our society. Besides the lack of knowledge about alcohol, there are plenty of temptations surrounding the lives of minors. For example, peer influences, media promote, boredom, rebellious phase, even escape and lack of confidence. In the statistics 2019, “Update on the NIAAA Underage Drinking Prevention Initiative,” it proposes, “By age 15, about 33 percent of teens have had at least 1 drink. By age 18, about 60 percent of teens have had at least 1 drink. In 2015, 7.7 million young people ages 12–20 reported that they drank alcohol beyond “just a few sips” in the past month.” Alcohol is one of the main factors in the deaths of plenty of young people under age 21 each year.

There are some ways to prevent people under minor from drinking alcohol. First, the Minimum Legal Drinking Age (MLDA) of 21 specifies the legal age (21 years old) when an individual can publicly purchase or consume alcoholic beverages. Second, parents and schools should give lessons about the underage drink will harm the development of the brain. From the article, “Underage Drinking: A Major Public Health Challenge — Alcohol Alert No. 59”, it mentions that drinking during the critical growth period can lead to lifelong damage in brain function, especially memory, motor skills, and coordination. That might cause mental problems and some high-risk actions, like commit suicide, driving after drinking, sexual assault, etc.

Additionally, we have to let the teenagers realize that the exact percentage of traffic fatalities the teenagers have done after drinking. In “Underage Drinking Statistics: United States,” the article points out that nearly 11 million underage people consume alcohol in the United States alone, and the percentage is getting higher and higher for those young people over the years. Therefore, we should make underage people understand the decision they make before thinking carefully and what their responsibilities they should take if the thing happens.

1. Zhonghua 7 months ago

Hi Danny, I really like you article about drinking. It is hard for teengers to control themself. I think that we should put more focus on this ,i think we should have a stricter rule for this problem

2. Graham 7 months ago

Hey Danny,

I thought your post was well thought out. Underage drinking is a problem that can only be solved through proper education of the effects drinking has on the developing brain. This article seems to explain it very well: https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/how-does-alcohol-affect-the-teenage-brain/

• Graham
  3. Kutay 7 months ago

Hi Danny,

I read your article and I think you did a really good job because I think, nowadays it is a common problem. So your aricle can be effective for children and also I think that some children are doing that because they do not know the possible consequences for underage drinking. You can check this website if you want: https://www.addictioncenter.com/teenage-drug-abuse/underage-drinking/

4. Abigayle 7 months ago

Hello Danny,
    I really liked your article because it relates to many kids today and it presents many facts that make young people realize how dangerous underage drinking is so they will stop doing it. You are right when you say that underage teens need to be aware of the decisions they are making and the consequences that follow. Here is another article that might help.
    https://www.alcoholrehabguide.org/resources/underage-drinking/

5. Carter 7 months ago

Hi Danny!

I really thought that your article on underage drinking and how to prevent it was really interesting. I think that people should not be drinking under age and people should be an advocate for themselves to be better and healthier. We are young and I know that it happens all of the time around the United States.

Here is some more facts and stats about underage drinking in America by the CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/underage-drinking.htm

have a good one!
    -Carter

6. Louis 7 months ago

I really like you article because today underage drinking is a major issue.I like how you said mental problems arise from this and make certain people more at risk for other issues.You data is very good supporting your information. Here is a good source to look at:
    https://drugfree.org/article/how-to-address-underage-drinking/?gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWZgqCq4Out0jpgNHb8QPk7E9ADACiSENaUNQ6so_ETFOF0wru_hQ5BoCBw8QAvD_BwE

7. Angeth 7 months ago

I really like this article underage drinking is an issue. But drinking while driving is an even bigger issue that is probably the most severe. I don’t hear or see a lot about teenage alcoholics but there are tremendous amounts of stories about DUI’s for teens . I think your right when you say we need to keep promoting cautionary tales to let teenagers know there are severe consequences.