1. Diavionne Range 2 months ago

I feel like abortion is your own choice but there is a limitation and standards on it. But at the end of the day a person is going to do what they want to do anyway not matter what anyone else think.

• Samuel 1 month ago

Jimmy

Diavonne has weighed in on your controversial argument. She makes a valid point that people are going to do what they want to do. Before Roe vs Wade, many horrible abortion practices were prevalent in shadowy and unsafe places. Providing women legal and safe places to have abortions might be better than the earlier alternatives/

Your argument reminds of the recent article I read in Atlantic Magazine. “The debate about abortion is not a winnable argument.” (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/12/the-things-we-cant-face/600769/)

I really appreciate you bravely and respectfully presenting the other side of the argument that may be less popular for many of my students here at the U School in Philadelphia.

Reed
      Humanities Teacher
      U School

2. Asnica 2 months ago

hello jimmy.
    I do not agree with your argument. It’s not fair or okay if a women has gotten raped and she gets pregnant she should be able to have the choice of what she wants to do because she already has all of the trauma that she is dealing with and having to carry a baby even if you don’t want to, its not healthy for you’re mental health. Plus it’s her body she gets to decide because she knows what’s best for her.

3. Lola 2 months ago

Hi jimmy,

I respect your opinion and that you have opened up this discussion however, I disagree with you in many areas. The first place being the number you brought up about rape related pregnancies. Rape is a real problem in our world. Although the number may be small, women do get pregnant as a result of sexual assault and solely using information that that number is small instead of recognizing that among that percentage are real people decreases the dignity of those women who have already been effected by the awful event that they experienced.

In another way, using the word you used “inconvenience” is only used to support your point however other inconveniences come when discussing abortion. The pregnancy can be an inconvenience of that woman mental health, her financial stability, the quality of life for that child, and in many other ways. In the resource I linked below It says “It’s not a good time in their life to have a baby.” In that sense your word “inconvenience” applies to every aspect of the choice a woman has. If a pregnancy is going to affect the woman or her quality of life it is her choice to abort.

Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion. Pro-choice means that after realizing that every circumstance is different, not one woman can be compared to the next and neither can her situation, It is her right to chose how to live her life.

I think it would be beneficial for you to read https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/considering-abortion specifically under the heading “why do people decide to have an abortion”

Thank you, Lola

4. Lola 2 months ago

Hi jimmy,

Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion. Pro-life means that after realizing that every circumstance is different, not one woman can be compared to the next and neither can her situation, It is her right to chose how to live her life.

Thank you, Lola

5. Horyna 2 months ago

Hi Jimmy. Though I do not agree with you, I can respect your point of view. Nonetheless, I want to share a couple resources with you in regards to some of the statements you made in your article. First, I want to address your claim that women use abortion as a method of birth control. The following article reports that 51% of abortion patients in the study used some other form of contraceptives during the month they got pregnant. https://www.guttmacher.org/news-release/2018/about-half-us-abortion-patients-report-using-contraception-month-they-became . It is also important to remember that abortions are a extremely traumatic experience for the women receiving them. Women are not “pure evil” and malicious in their intent when seeking an abortion. The next source I have attached relates the experiences of women who have had abortions, how it impacted them, as well as their reasons. https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a31727/what-its-really-like-to-have-an-abortion/ You may disagree with their reasoning, but I think you should refrain from calling an abortion a “convenience” or call their actions “pure evil” simply out of respect for fact that you know nothing about their situation and never will. Additionally, this research concludes that third trimester abortions, in which the baby can feel pain as you stated, are primarily conducted due to medical issues and the risk of maternal morbidity. Additionally, less than 2% of abortions happen beyond the first trimester. https://www.guttmacher.org/evidence-you-can-use/later-abortion. I respect your position, however, I do not think it is affective to make emotionally charged claims without researching the topic first. Nor do I agree with calling other human beings evil for their choices. I hope to hear more from you about this topic!

6. Erica 2 months ago

Dear Jimmy,

Here are a few resources that may help you to fact check your article: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=90&ContentID=P02362
    https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2019/09/us-abortion-rate-continues-drop-once-again-state-abortion-restrictions-are-not-main

The first is from the University of Rochester which explains how a fetus is attached to a woman. The second informs you about the current abortion statistics in the United States and how banning abortions actually influences women who seek abortions (this is via the Guttmacher Institute). The third paper, also via the Guttmacher Institute, explains why women seek abortions, as many women do not know from experience, and boys, such as yourself, cannot possibly know why these decisions are made via personal experience.

I would suggest reading those before contributing to any further articles on this topic, in order to get a holistic and educated view on the topic. I would also suggest using Gramerly or Spell-Check to edit your work before publishing to avoid spelling and grammar errors such as those present in this article.

I see you are passionate about this topic, but over all the lack of correct facts, reliable sources, extreme scenarios (such as a fetus, unattached to a woman, being found on Mars), and grammar mistakes made it difficult to focus on your message as a whole. I look forward to reading more from you on this topic.

Erica Strand

7. Olivia M Anderson 2 months ago

Hi Jimmy. I disagree with your argument about abortion. It is a woman’s right to choose what to do with her body. There are a lot of reasons a woman would get an abortion. For example, if the mother is in danger due to the pregnancy she should reserve the right to choose whether or not to terminate the pregnancy. Here is a resource that I think would be helpful for you: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/considering-abortion/what-facts-about-abortion-do-i-need-know .