Controversy has always been a topic around zoos and the humane aspect of keeping animals captive. Many people love going to zoos and seeing these animals, including myself. But in all reality, are these suitable living habitats for the animals? Also, is this fair to keep the animal away from their natural habitats for “protection”? 

There are countless zoos all around the world and have existed for centuries. These zoos attract over 181 million visitors annually, which is bigger than the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB combined. This provides a great learning experience for young kids and a fun attraction to see all of the wild animals. But these zoos don’t educate the public enough to justify keeping these animals captive.

But zoos also can help preserve species in danger from climate change and from other factors. Especially protecting endangered species. I believe that for the most part zoos are effective for scientific research and provide an adequate way to protect endangered animals.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should we have Zoos? by Timothy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 1 month ago

Timothy,
    This is a very interesting topic that you have raised. Personally, I have fond memories of my childhood and all the many zoos, animal parks, and other situations in which my family went to see animal exhibits. What I have realized is that there is a substantial amount of research that goes on in these situations where animals are kept captive. Their health conditions are taken care of by well trained veterinarians, their caretakers treat the animals as though they are their own children, and all of their necessities of life are provided for them. I know of one caretaker that actually took two monkeys to schools to teach children how intelligent they are. When they travelled, he simply put them in child car seats, dressed them in clothes, and they ate on plates with utensils just like we do as adults. Zoo animals are protected from predators and the elements. Some people would claim that those poor animals are cooped up in their cages, but those habitats are researched and scientifically constructed to be as much like the wild as possible. The alternative for these animals would be to always be running away from their predators, fending for their lives and food, and unfortunately the circle of life would cause many of them to perish. For those reasons, I believe zoos are still a very good idea for the purpose of educating the next generation and providing a good opportunity for scientific research. It may be selfish, but I still like to visit a good zoo now and then, and I want to be able to take my children to educate them as to the various animal species we have here on the Earth.

2. Aria 1 month ago

Hello Timothy,
    I agree with you that zoos have both negative and positive aspects when looked at and that keeping animals in captivity has become more of a controversial issue nowadays. I wrote an article on this awhile back and found some interesting facts in it:
    https://gracemarievelez.weebly.com/wild-animals-should-not-be-kept-in-captivity.html

Aria

3. Jessica 1 month ago

Dear Timothy,
    I think this is an interesting and complicated topic. On one side I can see zoos being used for education purposes and conservation. On the other side I can see zoos being harmful and causing an environment that would be stressful to animals. I think zoos should focus on education and conservation. Sometimes zoos do shows with the animals, I think this should be prevented because it can cause the animals to feel extra stressed. Zoos should make sure they protect their animals and make their lives happy and stress-free. In what ways do you think zoos should change to help the quality of life in the animals?

• Viviana 1 month ago

Dear Timothy,
      I think this is a very interesting topic. I liked how you wrote about both sides of the arguments make on whether or not zoos are ethically correct. I think that zoos have to potential to inform the public about animal life. I found an article that gives steps that zoos can take to make their facilities more humane.

• Jayme 1 month ago

You bring up an interesting point with the balance between conservation justifying less than humane conditions. The article makes me wonder if zoos can evolve to a point where those ends justify the means. I remember reading about how different animals in captivity can have completely different behaviors compared to those in the wild. If zoos are used for conversational purposes to the point where the animal is extinct in the wild (such as the black rhino) how would the educational aspect change since the animals being observed differ from how they would naturally be?