Students struggle getting enough sleep because their lives are so busy. It is hard to manage time in young adults. Sleep is necessary. In order to get more sleep, young adults need to realize that it is a necessity to be the best versions of ourselves. “There is data that sleep loss leads to learning and memory impairment, as well as decreased attention and vigilance.” This is not safe, especially for young adults. We need to take the proper steps, in order to get better and more sleep. 

Sleep is essential for a teenager. Steps that can help a student get more sleep include studying in a place where you are not in your bed, remove distractions while trying to sleep, limit naps, include exercise in daily routines, and take time to wind down before bed time. This will help the student fall asleep when it is time for bed. Doing these steps is hard to do when you are super busy trying to get everything done that students need to get done. Managing time is essential to get enough sleep while you are a student. 

There are many benefits when a teen gets a proper night’s sleep. These include better grades, memory, and improved mood overall. When a student stays up to do homework all night, it will actually cause the students grade to lower because it is harder to concentrate. Getting enough sleep is a necessity to good health and happiness. “Insufficient sleep can make some students feel hopeless and even suicidal.” Getting sleep can help with these negative thoughts and increase the overall mood of a person. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 It’s Bed Time! by Kaya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Matt 1 month ago

Kaya,
    I found your article about sleep really interesting. Sleep is something we all need to live healthily. What I liked about it the most was the problems that causes sleep deprivation, and also the benefits that sleep gives us in our everyday lives. Here is an article I think you might like based off your article. https://childmind.org/article/teenagers-sleep-deprived/

2. James Trease 1 month ago

Kaya, You are absolutely right on point in regards to your post regarding sleep. Teenagers seem to be torn in so many different directions, and unfortunately sleep seems to be the one item that suffers the most. When we attempt to prioritize the various responsibilities we have in our lives, getting to bed and obtaining restful sleep is the first one on the list that gets reduced. However, in listening to others, regardless of age, it sounds like this situation may be more of a lifelong challenge than just a teenager problem. Adults have deadlines, appointments, and many other demands on their schedules as well. I have witnessed many older people that have the same problems with sleep habits as you have discussed regarding teenagers. Similarly, when I have travelled to other Countries, it also does not appear that this is solely an issue related to Americans either. In fact, if you go anywhere that someone has the opportunity to just sit and wait for something to occur, I have noticed that when there is nothing else to do, a person will simply shut their eyes and nod off to sleep. Clearly this is a more wide spread issue than just for teenagers, it extends to the entire human race. You have raised awareness to a topic that we as teenagers must further investigate because the adults that have proceeded before us obviously have not found the answer either.

3. Hannah 1 month ago

Kaya,
    I really enjoyed reading your post about sleep deprivation. I find this information to be very important and very relevant to teens today. I myself struggle with putting the phone away at night and taking naps during the day. I think to improve your writing it might be helpful to cite where you got your information from so that readers may be able to gain further information. I think you should continue to research this topic. Some websites that may be helpful are https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6143346/ which is a medical website with lots of information on how sleep affects the brain. A lot of what I read in this article kind of shocked me and makes me wonder how we can make effective steps towards changing our sleeping habits. Great work!

4. Siqi 1 month ago

From my point of view, phone is a big problem that can influence your bedtime. Depending on age, gender, marital status, amount of homework, drunkenness, and many other factors, this period ranges from 0:00 to 23:59:59. It is often simply defined as a person going to bed, although there is some debate as to whether this means going to bed or actually turning off the lights, closing your eyes and trying to sleep.

5. Alexander 1 month ago

Kaya,
    I too feel that it is a necessity to get good sleep. We as teenagers should be getting between eight and ten hours of sleep per night according to https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/teens-and-sleep. I believe that reading this article could help broaden your knowledge on the lack of sleep amongst teens. The line, “When a student stays up to do homework all night, it will actually cause the students grade to lower because it is harder to concentrate.” is really interesting to think about. Often times, we as students stay up late working on homework and end up tired the next day. We should work to find a good balance between work and sleep. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

-Alex

6. Gedeon 1 month ago

Great writing Kaya! I think you made some great points about sleep deprivation and its effects on teens. Sleep is crucial for everyone especially those in schools because sleep is key to their success. Whether we are talking about the academic or emotional aspect of it in their education. I believe that adding a few steps for those who have sleep problems because some of those steps you mentioned about do not apply to them. Here is an example that might give you some insights https://www.verywellhealth.com/sleep-problems-and-hiv-49407 .

7. Sam 1 month ago

Dear Kaya,
    I thought this piece was very good! All the information about how too little sleep affects people really helped your point come across clearly, not to mention it allowed the reader to see and realize for themselves why sleep is important. I also liked how you mentioned the negative effects of too little sleep, along with the positives of healthy amounts of sleep. I think this allowed the readers to visualize the affects and compare them easily. Overall, Great work!

8. Peter 1 month ago

Hey Kaya, I totally agree with your take on lack of sleep causing lots of problems for students. If we students do not get enough sleep, their entire day can be affected. From their mood, to their ability to study. With increasing responsibilities for students it is harder and harder to get a full night of sleep. The tips you gave for getting more sleep, are very helpful. Another article that I found is helpful is https://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/college-resource-center/guide-to-sleeping-for-college-students-and-teens/.

9. Asnica 1 month ago

Dear kaya,
    complete agree with you on how it’s hard to get enough sleep during the school year. It would definitely help us if were on our phone’s less. When it’s time for us to go to sleep to put our phones in another room so we get a better night sleep.

10. Navid 1 month ago

Dear Kaya:
    I am surprised by your post, “It’s Bed Time,” because I didn’t know that sleep deprivation could cause our everyday life and mindset. The fact that not getting enough sleep causes brain break/damage is very shocking to me and as a result lowering our concentration is also a moving fact.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: “Young adults need to realize that it’s a necessity to be the best versions of ourselves,” I think this is a fabulous line because, young adults encounter different events and facts in life that can shape their future, as for this line, it is implied that one must never lose it’s own real identity and never give up in order to succeed in life.
    Another sentence that I liked was: “Getting sleep can help with these negative thoughts and increase the overall mood of a person.” This stood out for me because it shows the most essential benefits of sleep. Humans like machines need a break to gain more energy which is done through sleeping. However, I think too much sleep time can have an opposite (negative) effect on people, for it may make us more lazy.
    Have you seen this article https://www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/effects-on-body#4. I thought you might like this because it has sleep deprivation side effects with proves through science and everyday life evidences.
    Thanks for your writing, I am look forward to seeing what you write next, because I find your post informative: It helps us build up a better foundation and decisions for becoming the best versions of ourselves.