One upon a time, in the 90s there was a black family lives in a small and unsafe neighborhood. The mother has two young daughters Maggie and her sister Dee. They used to play together all the time. Their mother loved to see them that way. The house was pretty and organized, Maggie and her sister Dee used to clean the house every morning. They had a maid who used to help them clean and cook. Their mother was the most thrilled person in the world. She thought she had the most beautiful daughters ever. The two daughters not get envious of each other and they always shared their things with each other. Their mother always went to buy new jewelry for them, however she buys different colors to test her daughters’ sisterhood. Maggie and Dee always proved their mother that they were the way she wanted to see them. The neighborhood that the family were living in was not a safe environment. Mama always dreamed to live in a safer one where she can see her two daughters grow and be the most important people in the society. Unfortunately that could not happen because white people did not like to invite people of color into their neighborhood. 

Their neighbor was not the best place for them because everyday they saw how people of color being tortured and saw their houses set on fire. All of their personal things were destroyed and they lost everything. One day Maggie’s family experienced the worst thing in their lives since they lived there. Some unkind people came to hurt a black family, because one member from the black family got into a fight. He was being discriminated in school and he fought back. The white family went to get revenge. They set their house on fire. Mama went to help the family who were in need. Sadly the white people attacked them too because they were helping the other family. Sadly, Maggie was in the living room and she was burned all over her arms and legs. Mama came home and found that Maggie had fainted in the room and she quickly took her to the hospital. Over months her injuries healed but she still had scars all over her arms and legs. That’s how Maggie started to feel hat she was the most unattractive person and felt so envious towards her sister. She thought that the word « no » is the world will never learn to say to her. She imagines that her mother loves her sister more. Their sisterhood was destroyed. Mama was disappointed to see her two daughters like that.  2

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Differences Between Sisters by Housseynatu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.