Sisterhood is not always the cheerful moment. Having a lighter skin and education especially for girls in 1920’s in black community does not help. It will be confusing that you will not know where you belong, white or black. My sister Maggie after she was burned in our old house she has never been the same. She start to blame everyone. That does not mean I would do the same to make her happy. She was most closed to Mama. But I understand how she feels about me. Usually mothers support more their kid who are not favored that mean who don’t have confidence of themselves. She thought that I’m the one who takes all opportunities she should have, like education, and popularity. After my mama and the church raised money for my college and I went to college I realized that my family does not have money.

Maggie is my sister and nothing will change that. When I decided to present Hakim to my family mama did not like him and she started making fun of him. As long I known her, she always takes my sister’s side and both of them are really locked. She considered my sister more. I will love to have the same relationship with her. But I have no idea how it will started. I guess I supposed to behaved or be the same as my sister. Obviously It will not going to happen because I will not change my personality. I want to be love how I am and for who I am. She will have to accepted me as I am. She though that I hate Maggie but she is wrong even I like nice things or have knowledge that did not mean I’m a bad person or I hate my sister. The thing my Mama and Maggie did not understands we are a family and this will not change.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sisterhood by Fatoumata is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oumy 11 hours ago

Dear Fatoumata,
    I am satisfied about your short story “ Sisterhood” because, it explains a lot about Dee’s feelings and how she is an understanding person. She did not want to change her personality for her sister. I think it’s a good idea to not follow other people’s point of view of your personality. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ She thought that I hate Maggie but she is wrong even though I like nice things or have knowledge that did not mean I’m a bad person or I hate my sister. The thing my Mama and Maggie did not understand we are a family and this will not change”. I think this is fantastic because in my opinion, I can let my sister to change my personality just to satisfy her. Another sentence that I inspired me was: “ But I have no idea how it will start. I guess I am supposed to behave or be the same as my sister. Obviously It will not going to happen because I will not change my personality. ” This stood out for me because Dee made a fair point by talking about her family and how they should themselves equally. Also she is not letting her family decide for her. I Delightfully agree with you because your story inspires me and I connected to me one of my weaknesses is that I cannot say “NO” to other which is affecting me and how people think about me. One reason I say this is that reading your story gives me faith and courage to not let others decide for me. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I adore your motivation and intention to talk about and personality. I am really looking forward to read another story of yours

2. Leticia 14 hours ago

dear Fatoumata
    I am touching about your short story, “Sisterhood” because your story demonstrates there is relationship with sister even though her Maggie was closer than her with their mother. One line that stands out for me is, “The thing my Mama and Maggie did not understands we are a family and this will not change.” I think his line is powerful for me because your story makes me reflect on one point very important about family. The family is very key of someone’s life, you can not reject someone from your family. You have to appreciate the way he is. Also, when there is some trouble between you and your sister never forget she is your and you have to find a way to solve any problem. Another line that stands out for me is, “I would love to have the same relationship with her.” I think it is sensitive because Dee claims the attention from her mother. She wishes to have the relation with her mother that Maggie has with her. Thank you, your story has been helpful to me. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I would really like to come back again to read your story because I found it very trusting the way you express Dee’s emotion, what she desires from her mother.Also, Your writing is very right and clear.

3. Khadija 1 day ago

Dear Fatoumata.
    I am choosing an adjective showing emotion of affectionate about your story. Your story, “Sisterhood” because I like the way that you explain how family sisters works despite all the things that will happen the family still be family. Also This story has one strong feeling that is you and I are one and forever. And does is one teaching I get in your story when I read then this so special and have a connection with reality.
    One line that stands out for me is,“Maggie is my sister and nothing will change that.” I think this line is compelling because it catching the reader’s attention to know more about the story . Since this sentence have a strong meaning to understand in one part of path road.
    Another line that stands out for me is, “The thing my Mama and Maggie did not understands we are a family and this will not change.” I think this line is interesting because it makes me think in which level family are important. Since I never think about family and the way the have an impact on me.
    Your Story helps me to understand a story that I once read on everyday use because in this story it was a problem of family that one think her mother doesn’t give her more love like her sister. And I find it was unfair, however when I read your story I realist I’m wrong because no women on this earth will say she doesn’t love her daughter specific on family case .
    Thanks for your Story I look forward to seeing what you make next time . Since I would like to see different type of story in others situation that people are not familiar with. Then using some of strategies elements that we can feel it. And those can of thing will bring me back to see others creations you made again.