Dear Dee,

I am writing this letter to you at this very moment, because I just feel like is time to speak my truth and address the issues between us it is time to tell you what I felt every single time that, Mama put you ahead of me and made me feel like I was really nothing just like I was not capable of reaching  to the gold pedestal that she had you on. Even at some point our mom was such as a strong supporter of the descriptiveness idea that I was nothing compared to you. At some point she was so sure that I was literally nothing that she made me believe that I really was just a simple piece of a human being, while you just got all her love and admiration something that I never had from her. However, what really made me this way was the discourage that I was getting from you as my sister you never step up and stand to defend me from our mother reckless behavior towards me. Even though we never had the closest relationship as you now know and after our house burned down  to ashes and that accident happened with my hands it had not been the same, since then I feel like that not only we lost everything in the fire, but also we might have lost our love as a family having to deal with the heart wrenching notion that I was just not good enough to be treated like you was by our mother. Today, I still reflect on the idea that I am maybe not enough to be loved. Although, at some point I wanted to be in your shoes, I feel that at the end of the day our mother did give me something in life that is going to make me fulfill and reach all the potential that I have and that thing was resistance to all the negativity around me, because more than just be taken down by the negative it gave me strength and tools to make myself stronger and I thank her for all the times that she tried to make me feel that I was less than you but what she did not know was that she was just making me better than what you was through her eyes in some way or another.

Maggie.   

——————————————————————————. 

Photo by Free-Photos (Pixabay)

1. Lenin 8 months ago

Dear Eros:

I am adsorbed by your letter, “My true feelings” because many parents reject their children and don’t support then in the obstacles of their lives. Many childs has to face their obstacles alone because they don’t a have a family how supports it. One set of lines that stands out for me is, “Even though we never had the closest relationship as you now know and after our house burned down to ashes and that accident happened with my hands it had not been the same, since then I feel like that not only we lost everything in the fire, but also we might have lost our love as a family having to deal with the heart wrenching notion that I was just not good enough to be treated like you was by our mother.” This lines makes me reflect because of how deep and changing was that moment for Maggie’s family. Not only loosing their house, they lose something important to keep a family together which is love. Another set of lines that stands out for me is, “Although, at some point I wanted to be in your shoes, I feel that at the end of the day our mother did give me something in life that is going to make me fulfill and reach all the potential that I have and that thing was resistance to all the negativity around me, because more than just be taken down by the negative it gave me strength and tools to make myself stronger and I thank her for all the times that she tried to make me feel that I was less than you but what she did not know was that she was just making me better than what you was through her eyes in some way or another.” This makes me also reflect because many parents make their childs feels that their births was a mistake in their lives. Make then feel like they are nothing but what this types of “parents” don’t know is that they are teaching then. Making their childs strong and persistend with all the negativity around then as you said. Your short stories show us a different maggie from the maggie of Everyday Use. A maggie that took all the negativity around her and made that as her strength. Thanks for your letter “My true feelings”, looking forward to see what you make next.

2. Ahmed 8 months ago

Dear Eros
    Great job I literally felt like Maggie who wrote these words. There is so much emotion in the sentences you wrote almost in each word I read, moves my heart emotionally. The most words that hurt my feelings was when Maggie said ” Today, I still reflect on the idea that I am maybe not enough to be loved.” These fifteen words were strong enough to take me away thinking about the millions of people who are suffering in different part on the world. They may feel the same thing, especially the kids who have no reason to take there rights away from them. They are thinking why we’re suffering and not being loves by getting some help, since the environment around us is mist up by the war. Finally I want to congrats you Eros that you wrote really great sentences.

3. Hanna 8 months ago

Dear Eros,
    I am intrigued by your letter “My true feeling ” because it explains the difficulties that Maggie had to face due to the lack of support she received from her mother. I also admire your elaboration of the distinctive behavior that mama had toward Maggie.
    One line that stands out for me is “Mama put you ahead of me and made me feel like I was really nothing just like I was not capable of reaching to the gold pedestal that she had you on” because it asserts how Mama had a strong negative attitude toward her.It also explains why Maggie doesn’t have a strong personality like her sister . Maggie always received negative attitude from her family whose supposed to be there for her and also being person of color in the 80s was not welcoming.
    I would like you to elaborate in that line “because more than just be taken down by the negative it gave me strength and tools to make myself stronger and I thank her for all the times that she tried to make me feel that I was less than you but what she did not know was that she was just making me better than what you was through her eyes in some way or another.” How do you think that Maggie is building her life? Is there a specific line in the story that implies that Maggie is building her life. From my understanding of the story Maggie seems to be a submissive person who does not like change and she like to have conventional life like her family.
    I enjoyed the time reading you letter and i look forward to read more of your work.

4. Aboubakar 8 months ago

Dear Eros
    I am choked by, your letter, “My true feelings>,” because a lot of children in this world thing that their mothers or their families don’t love them, but they are wrong.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “At some point, she was so sure that I was literally nothing that she made me believe that I really was just a simple piece of a human being, while you just got all her love and admiration something that I never had from her.” I think this is impossible because whoever you are your mother will be the first person to give everything she has for her children’s happiness.
    Another sentence that I attracted my attention was: “I feel like that not only we lost everything in the fire, but also we might have lost our love as a family having to deal with the heart-wrenching notion that I was just not good enough to be treated like you was by our mother.” This stood out for me because a family is where anybody can go and have support. It doesn’t matter who is in your family. Family is not a synonym love but in reality, it is.
    Have you seen this article? https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/love/family-love-what-it-is-what-it-looks-like-and-how-to-make-it-happen/. I thought you might be interested in this because it gives detail about love and family.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

5. Fatoumata 9 months ago

Dear Eros
    I am fascinated by your Letter, “My True Feeling,” because I really like how you used Maggie’s point of view to explain how she feel about Dee and all the reproached she had. How she think her sister did not love her. One set of lines that stands out for me is, “Today, I still reflect on the idea that I am maybe not enough to be loved.” I think this line is interesting because his really connected to his tittle how he want to used Maggies to expressed her feeling. Another line that stands out for me is, “Even at some point our mom was such as a strong supporter of the descriptiveness idea that I was nothing compared to you” I think this line is thought-provoking because I think Maggie don’t believed herself after she was burned. Therefore this made Maggie lost confident on her. Additionally Their mom have part of responsibility in the this situation because she could supported her daughter and helped to go to college as her sister Dee. Your Letter reminds me of childhood that I was burned on my legs. I did not remember the whole scene because I was little but I remember the pain and the people whom where screaming around me. Thanks for your story. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I would like to see you writing about Dee’s point of view. I’m really curious how you interpreted that.

6. Housseynatu 9 months ago

Dear Eros
    I am so sensitive about your letter, “My True Feelings” because not a lot of people are honest when it comes to how they feel about certain things. In this letter you showed how a true talks about when they see unfairness happens. Maggie wanted to have the truth all out, to start a new beginning with her sister. I am truly stimulated with the method you used to describe how Maggie wanted to have a peaceful family. This part caught my attention “Even at some point our mom was such as a strong supporter of the descriptiveness idea that I was nothing compared to you. At some point she was so sure that I was literally nothing that she made me believe that I really was just a simple piece of a human being, while you just got all her love and admiration something that I never had from her”, because Maggie showed her sister that she does not feel comfortable with Mama being ashamed of her, but she still ready to forget about everything and move on to the next step. Your letter reminds me, before I came to the United States I used to live with one of my aunts. We did not have a good relationship, the righteous part was when she called and asked me to forgive her and let everything behind us I did the same too because I wanted to have a new start with peace. I am so grateful That I got to read your letter and I can’t wait to read what you will write next.

7. Issaka 9 months ago

Dear Eros
    I am impressed by your letter “My true feelings,” because I noticed two lines in your letter which I think they are impresif.
    One line that stands out for me is, “However, what really made me this way was the discourage that I was getting from you as my sister you never step up and stand to defend me from our mother reckless behavior towards me. ” I think that this line interesting because you think that even though her mother wasn’t paying any attention to her, as a sister, De should have spoken up for her so that she would feel loved.
    Another line that stands out for me is, “since then I feel like that not only we lost everything in the fire, but also we might have lost our love as a family” I think reveals the source of the because you mentioned that the fire could have burned their love along.
    Your letter “My true feelings,” helps me understand the story “Everyday Use” that I once read because form the story the relationship between Maggie and De after the house was burned wasn’t any better. Your edition of the story tells how their relationship was not getting better.
    Thanks for your letter “My true feelings”. Your writer is pretty impressive and so I am looking forward to seeing what you make next.

8. Leticia 10 months ago

dear Eros
    I am proof of your letter about your story, “My True Feelings” because I like the way you showed Dee voice as a writer to express through her letter to say what she wants from her family. And this is a situation of many families that has some problems they can just figure out the solution by writing a letter. One line that stands out for me is,“I am writing this letter to you at this very moment, because I just feel like is time to speak my truth and address the issues between us.” I think this line is striking because it makes me to pay attention and understand more about how someone can get the courage to say what he desires even though sometimes it is not as easy as he thinks. Another line that stands out for me is, “it gave me strength and tools to make myself stronger and I thank her for all the times that she tried to make me feel that I was less than you.” I think this line is compelling because it shows that Dee recognizes that Maggie can be better that her sometimes and she thanks her mother showed her that. Your Story helps me to understand a story that I once read on “everyday use” because in this story it was an issue of a family that one sister was burned and others one not . Then the burn sister can not handle her situation . She found that her situation was unfair. But when I read you story I think is very different that this story. Thanks for your letter I look forward to seeing what you make next. I would like to see different type of story from you. Then try to include some strategies elements that we can feel it more.

9. Aboubakar 10 months ago

Dear Eros
    Another sentence that I attracted my attention was: “I feel like that not only we lost everything in the fire, but also we might have lost our love as a family having to deal with the heart-wrenching notion that I was just not good enough to be treated like you was by our mother.” This stood out for me because a family is where anybody can go and have support. It don’t matter who is in your family. Family is not a synonym love but in reality, it is.
    Have you seen this article? https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/love/family-love-what-it-is-what-it-looks-like-and-how-to-make-it-happen/. I thought you might be interested in this because it give detail about love and family.