My Maggie, My daughter,
The love of my my life.
I only want you to know,
That when I’m struggling,
Or dealing with strife,
You are where I always go.
Since in you,
I see the daughter that I pray to have.
When trouble draw near,
When trouble is there,
Just know that we’ll always be unique in quilts.
That’s my duty and my right as mother,
Since you are my blood and at the same time my life.

Image credit: Sisters by T.JackPhotography on 2014-05-18 02:33:54

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Beloved Daughter by Khadija is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jasmine 3 hours ago

Hello Khadija, I really enjoyed reading your poem! In our American Literature class we read a poem every day, which has exposed us to various artistic styles and literary elements. I was intrigued to read your piece because of the heartfelt title and beautiful picture! I think poetry is such a good way to express emotion, and I especially liked: “The love of my my life./ I only want you to know,/ That when I’m struggling,/ Or dealing with strife,/ You are where I always go”. This reminded me of my own life, and how looking at it from the opposite perspective, I always go to my mother! Also, have you read “When They Call You a Terrorist” by Patrisse Khan-Cullors ( https://patrissecullors.com/call-terrorist-black-lives-matter-memoir/ )? Your poem reminded me of this book, and I highly recommend it. Although it does not show exactly the same family dynamic as the one described in your poem, one of a strong mother-daughter relationship, family is a central part of this novel. The main character, Patrisse (it is a memoir) has a very strong relationship with her father. She turns to him for love and help when she needs it, and he does the same as well. Even if you don’t look at this book, I really appreciate your time writing and posting this on Youth Voices! Thanks.
    -Jasmine