Today was a great day.

When I woke up, everything looked like a normal day but I never imagined that my day had another end.

When I left my room there was a smell from the kitchen that appealed to me. Mama was cooking my sister’s favorite food. I helped her in what she needed help. Then we had breakfast. Mama told me to get ready today to go to church.

When we were in church, Mom looked different, she was very thoughtful, I didn’t know what would happen at that time. Mama starts to explain the meaning that have the quilt and why is important for her. I did not have a notion about the decision she took.

But my heart started beating faster because I feel excited because Mama would give the quilt to my sister. Mama start to discuss with my sister but suddenly happened that I can not believe that Mama is hug me. For the moment my heart stop beating and took a deep breath. I was in shock and Mama told me that the quilt have to belong to a special, humble and responsible person and this person was me.

This impact my whole life for first time Mama demonstrated me that she know of me that I’m exist. At the moment I have a lot of questions, and also I think that she was joking with me. But the reality was not she speak with the true.

I feel happy because Mama recognize that I’m the unique person that care of her. Even though I feel sad for my sister because I think she was the favorite person of Mama.  I know this is a special tradition for Mama, but I think this is something uncomfortable for the other siblings. I like that my sister was an agree with the decision of Mama and also she gives me some advice she never gave before.

I believe that this experience I learned many things like we need to know the person first that judge their actions or how the person looks.

1. Lenin 6 months ago

Dear Celines:

I am gratefull with your short storie, “Maggie’s Diary” because by reading this short story, we a can imagine who maggie was feeling in those key moments in “Every Day Use”. Also, it demostrate us that our family is the most important thing we have. One line that stands out for me is, “I was in shock and Mama told me that the quilt have to belong to a special, humble and responsible person and this person was me.” This is striking because I beleve that Maggie in that specific moment, she couldn’t describe how happy was her, how that act changes her whole life and perspective of it. Another set of lines that stands out for me is, “But my heart started beating faster because I feel excited because Mama would give the quilt to my sister. Mama start to discuss with my sister but suddenly happened that I can not believe that Mama is hug me. For the moment my heart stop beating and took a deep breath.” This lines catches my atention because Maggies was always feeling rejected by her own family but Mama finally made a show of appreciation to her daughter. Your short storie help me to understand more “Everyday Use” because I think your short story could be in the original story because by reading this, you can tell that you understand the characters and their emotion or feelings. Thanks for your short story “Maggie’s Diary”. I am escited to see what you make in your next post.

2. Aboubakar 7 months ago

Dear Celine:
    I am happy with your Journal, “Maggie’s Diary,” because this story is told the Important keys for family members to live together. These keys are only the basis for only family members but also for the whole world.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “we need to know the person first that judges their actions or how the person looks..” I think this is confused because someone’s actions can be different from how he looks. I’m 100 percent that we need to know the objective of his action before we start juicing them.
    Another sentence that I attracted my attention was: “ I was in shock and Mama told me that the quilt has to belong to a special, humble and responsible person and this person was me.” This stood out for me because these thoughts are breaking a lot of families in the world. People think that their parents should be more attention to them because of the most respective child in the house. But it is like that the world work. If in a family there is a child who is a good route and another who isn’t, so the parents have to give this child more attention in order to bring this child to the good route.
    I don’t Perfectly agree with you in that sentence: “I feel happy because Mama recognizes that I’m the unique person that cares about her. Even though I feel sad for my sister because I think she was the favorite person of Mama”. One reason I say this is a mom can never love more one of her children than the other. The child who stay next to her or his mom will be the one who will always receive more experience from his or her mom. A mom will do every sing things to teach her children all the thing that she learn in hole life. Another reason I disagree with you is when a mom give something to one of her children and doesn’t give it to the other, that means the second children have something that has the same valuer than the thing she gave to the first one.
    Have you seen this article? https://www.mon-poeme.fr/citations-mere-enfant/. I thought you might be interested in this because it talks about the love of a mom to her children.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

3. Housseynatu 8 months ago

Dearest Celine
    I am ecstatic with your short story “Maggie’s Diary”, because the method you kept the story so simple and how you can understand every character’s emotion through Maggie’s words or perspectives. I am glorious with the techniques that you used your first paragraph a peaceful imagery that could keep a reader to continue being curious what is on the next paragraphs. This paragraph really catches my attention, “This impact my whole life for first time Mama demonstrated me that she know of me that I’m exist. At the moment I have a lot of questions, and also I think that she was joking with me. But the reality was not she speak with the true”, because this is a pivotal moment in her life and felt attentive due to the action that her mother showed her she cares about her. She has some questions that wondered about her but she was just enjoying her moment and try to get the best of it. This is another paragraph that stands out for me, “I feel happy because Mama recognize that I’m the unique person that care of her. Even though I feel sad for my sister because I think she was the favorite person of Mama. I know this is a special tradition for Mama, but I think this is something uncomfortable for the other siblings. I like that my sister was an agree with the decision of Mama and also she gives me some advice she never gave before”. This part shows that Maggie’s consideration towards her sister, even though she dose not think that her sister is the same towards her. Your diary aid me understand that some people might just feel left out and abandoned because they think their actions do not matter or the world is ignoring them. On the other side they do not know the surprise, their beloved one could show them the consideration and that could be a moment of change in their lives. This is away that they understand anyone can leave them but families always remain. I am so glad that I got to read your story and I am looking forward to reading what you are going to write next.

4. Issaka 8 months ago

Dear Celines
    I am really amazed by the short story “Maggie’s dairy” your because of the following lines that you mentioned . One line that stands out for me is, “I was in shock and Mama told me that the quilt have to belong to a special, humble and responsible person and this person was me.” I think that this line made things interesting because Maggie never expected that her mom would offer her the quilt because to her, De was the perfect daughter so it almost unreal to her. The line also stands out for me is, “This impact my whole life for first time Mama demonstrated me that she know of me that I’m exist.” I think because it made this line is important to Maggie because it made her feel like she is part of a family and she wasn’t being forgotten. Your short story helped me understand the story “Everyday Use” that I once read. I think that your version of the story could be a good match because Maggie was this self sobbing person who always stays on her own.
    Thanks for your short story “Maggie’s dairy”. From what you wrote, I can tell that you’re an excellent writer, so I am looking forward to seeing what you make next.

5. Aboubakar 8 months ago

Dear Celine: