I know we set aside one particular day each and every year to express our thankfulness for all that we have in this great Country of ours; but, even that Holiday has become more focused on food rather than the purpose of gathering with friends and loved one to remind ourselves of the vast amount of reasons we truly have to be thankful.

Similarly, each of the days that are considered more special to us than all the regular days of the year, have really became associated with a particular food or drink. New Years begins with a drink of some sort, even for the youngest of revelers. Valentines day means chocolate. Eggs are associated with Easter. Fourth of July would not exist if not for bar-b-que. Halloween — candy, candy, and more candy. And, don’t forget Birthdays, cake and ice cream.

Within hours of consuming the edible of the day, we are quickly running for the medical remedy of the day. Why? because we can’t control ourselves. We simply eat too much.

No, I don’t have the answer. I have just identified the problem. Perhaps rather than laughing at the government’s suggested portion size which appears on every box or container we pour into a glass or plate, we may want to take a more serious view of whether we really need all that liquid and solid stuff we are cramming into our pie holes.

sources:https://stateofchildhoodobesity.org/adult-obesity/

CC BY-SA 4.0 We Eat Too Much! by James is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aidan 2 hours ago

Hey James, interesting ideas you have put out in this article, however I have a couple discrepancies. First of all how can you say that Thanksgiving has become more about food then being thankful, when the reason the holiday was started was coming together and being thankful for food. Now it might be true that Americans eat too much, but I think that the problem doesn’t lay within holidies this is when we should be able to indulge. I think the problem is with the lack of government intervention in the public health arena.It’s simple either the government gets involved and we become a healthier nation or we stick to our old libertarian ways of thinking and we don’t judge how other people choose to consume.

2. Charlie 3 days ago

Hey James, I think that this is a really interesting article about obesity in America. I like how you called out all of these holidays for using them to sell even more foods. My other favorite thing you said, was we should start listening to health professionals about being more healthy. Here is an article that can relate to yours; https://letsmove.obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/about

3. Cooper 5 days ago

I think this an interesting outlook on holidays and how they become a little too materialistic. Holidays were created to honor an event and bring people together, not to be about food and gifts. I think this is a unique post and it truly gets people thinking.