By observing the imagine and examine the quote  i can say that the message is; If you’re an immigrant from another country you must speak English. I found this very rude because not all people have the resources to be able to sit in a classroom and learn a new language, especially people of age. Also is good to know another language but at the same time is not mandatory. As an immigrant I have seen successful people get a job 1 and stable and don’t know English at all. The way the person said this quote sounds very rude and I wouldn’t like it. How about you?

1. Hector 5 months ago

Dear Keily:
    I’m Hector and your post “English is our language no exception learn it” was very interesting to me because I’m a immigrant as well,my fist language is Spanish and I want to tell you that is very hard to learn English for people who their first language is Spanish and they didn’t know any words in English.When I came here for the first time I found he English language very interesting to me,but there are many people that their first language is Spanish that they don’t want to learn how to speak English and they don’t know that speak a second language for example English or French can be helpful for them in the future.

One sentence that you wrote was “If you’re an immigrant from another country you must speak English. I found this very rude because not all people have the resources to be able to sit in a classroom and learn a new language, especially people of age.”I’m agree with you and is true another example can be people who came from countries like Guatemala,El Salvador,Nicaragua,Honduras and other countries that don’t have enough resources they can’t learn a new language.I’m from El Salvador and English teachers are horrible teaching English but that’s all what we have and we can improve it but how I said we don’t have the resources to do it and when I came here for the first time and then went to school I learn English like in 3 month so if I can learned how to speak and write in English just in 3 month any body else can do the same if they want to learn a new language and if they want to be more and more successful by speak Spanish and English.

Another thing is that many jobs specially jobs where you need to talk and engage with people starting a conversation this jobs need people who speak English and Spanish and they don’t care if your first language is Spanish they are just looking for people who write and speak English and use the Spanish when is needed.In my opinion people from other countries should learn English I know is a little bit harder but they can do it.

2. Rachael 8 months ago

Hi Keily,
    Good post. I like how you mention that you are an immigrant and add your personal perspective that’s been affected because of this. I agree that immigrants shouldn’t be met with so much aggression when it comes to learning English. Instead, they should be helped with getting used to their new situation and be able to preserve their native customs and language, while still being able to learn the language of their new home country in order to find work and send their kids to school. I found an interesting article that adds a lot to the subject of immigration and language: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/12/language-immigrants-multiethnolect/420285/. Here, they discuss how immigration changes language, which is really fascinating.

3. Madison 8 months ago

Hi Keily, I think that you bring an interesting point into discussion about learning English. You specifically mentioned immigrants learning English. It is important to know different languages, especially learning English in America because so many of us speak it and it is easier to communicate with one another. It is okay, however, to not know English and live in America because America celebrates diverse culture and language. There are still ways to communicate with others without the use of language. I agree with you that knowing English is helpful, but it should not be forced upon non native speakers.

4. Cooper 8 months ago

While learning a new language is a very hard task, I think immigrants should learn English. Since an overwhelming majority of Americans speak English and it is our country’s official language, it makes sense that an immigrant would be expected to learn English. You may be able to get a job not speaking English, but being able to speak English will make you be able to communicate better with most citizens and it will definitely help an individual move up the job ladder. It would especially help that person as they could speak two languages and many company’s see that as an advantage.