It was a common afternoon like any other day, a normal school day at least. 

While I was outside waiting for the school entrance time, I watched many students in red uniforms entering the building.

A few minutes before entering school, one of my friends was passing by. His name was Ernesto and he is a little short. He told me, “Edwin, today we don’t have to go to school. we should go to a forest where there is a river. what if we leave and don’t go in?”

then … I answered him, “If we go then”.

I said in my mind, “He has never gotten into any trouble. We have been friends for two years now I know him well, nothing will happen.”

Then we walked and walked along the road. it was a bit far, and after about 1 hour of walking, we arrived.

But in my mind, I was afraid that my parents would find out and I would be punished for not going to school.

“Hey, we are here!”

Then he told me, “Don’t be scared anymore. let’s have a good time and you’ll see that everything will be fine. nobody will find out it will relax.”

I said, “if it’s okay, no problem, let’s play and be fine”

We were playing in the woods by the river, but then we were very tired. There was an abandoned house next to the lake.

Told me, “come on. let’s go to the house there is it abandoned”.

then I said, “If we go I’m already very tired”

Then we arrived at the abandoned house and my friend Ernesto takes out some beers called dos Equis lager.

“I told you we were going to have a good time,” he said.

But I had never tried beers, but I said, “well I do not think anything will happen.”

Then I started to drink one after another with my friend. After 5 beers, I was definitely under the influence of alcohol.

“I told my friend that I wanted to go to play the lake”

“Then he will measure if we go.”

Then I for showing courage for a while I fall into the water for drinking beer and playing without limit.

“And when I was of the fall, the effect of the beer was greatly lowered by the great fright I had.

All because nonsense of not going to school, I almost drowned me and I could see my life lost just for skipping school! “

Then I told my friend Ernesto, let’s go, each one, to his house.”

He said, “yes, let’s go, it’s late”.

When I arrived at my house, my very angry parents scolded me for not having entered school.

then I told them “and how do you know that I don’t go to school”

“They told me they called us from school that you had not preceded

and my very angry parents told me, “We don’t want you to interact with that friend of yours, Ernesto, understood?”

“ it’s okay, I won’t pull you anymore”

And finally, they told me, “ go to your room!

When I think about that moment, I think it was the worst decision of my life that I could have made because that’s why I almost lost my life and all for believing in my friend.

Since that day I have always gone to school and I behave much better. 

Today, as I look back, that day funny and something that I regret, it’s funny for everything that happened that day and bad for not being well and not knowing what I was doing.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Cuando casi me caigo by Edwin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kerly 2 weeks ago

Dear Edwin,

I am Kerly, and I read your story entitled “When I almost fell,” because I find it very interesting and very fun to read these types of stories since in that type of stories we can know a little about the writer’s fun life.

One sentence he wrote that stands out to me is: “Then we arrived at the abandoned house and my friend Ernesto takes out some beers called dos Equis lager.” I think this is wrong because you have to be big to be able to drink beer.

Another sentence that caught my attention was: “But I had never tried beers, but I said,” well I do not think anything will happen.” This stood out for me because for you it was the first time taking alcohol and for that reason, you didn’t have to accept drinking because you’re not old enough yet and because you didn’t have permission from your parents, but you decided to drink.

I think it is your first time writing a part of your life and it is very good because that way you let more people know what happened to you in your life. I thought you might be interested in this because it is a very funny story and very interesting.

Thank you for writing this story I hope to see what you write next because it is very interesting to read that kind of story because they are so funny.

From: Kerly Dutan