It is a known fact that vaccines save lives, so why do people continue to not get vaccinated? Vaccines can quite literally save children’s lives. They save 2.5 million children from preventable diseases every year, according to a United Nations Foundation partner organization. The CDC estimated that childhood immunization prevented 419 million illnesses and between the years 1994 and 2018 it saved 936,000 children from early deaths. 

Getting vaccinated also protects the people around you, and future generations. If a population is vaccinated against a contagious disease there will most likely not be an outbreak of that disease among those people. It protects future generations by protecting the fetus from viruses when a mother is pregnant. Women who are pregnant and were vaccinated as a child against rubella greatly decreased the chance of passing the virus to their child, which eliminates birth defects.

Not getting vaccinated puts those around you at a greater risk. Vaccines are “possibly the most important modern medical advance and have saved countless lives.” Maintaining high vaccination rates protects the entire population. In the United States, vaccines are covered by insurance or Medicaid and the Vaccines for Children programme requires children in all 50 states to have certain vaccines in order to attend public school, but the vaccines required vary by state. 

1. Dakota 8 months ago

Hey Soph, i would have to agree with you that everyone should be vaccinated. It puts you and those around you in danger of catching diseases and other infections that are truly preventable. I found this article about 10 diseases that you can avoid with getting vaccinated and it is truly mind blowing to me that people dont vaccinate their children knowing that is making them safer and preventing so much in the long run. Heres the link https://gun-control.procon.org/

2. Kaya 9 months ago

Sophie, I really like what you had to say about this. I find it very interesting that some parents vaccinate their kids while others do not. I think that everyone should be vaccinated because it will help prevent these diseases from spreading. I found a great source that could help if you wanted to look into it further. http://infectiousdiseases.edc.org/sites/infectiousdiseases.edc.org/files/documents/pro_con_vaccines.pdf
    This website shows the pros and cons to vaccinating. I think the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot. One of the pros is that it saves children’s lives. They are 90-99% effective in preventing the disease. I hope this helps!