Medical marijuana has always been an important and controversial issue. Today, it remains at the forefront of many politicians arguments, even for the 2020 democratic candidates. The views of Americans can be talked about as a list of the pros and cons. VeryWell health states, “While a number of states in the U.S. have active medical marijuana laws (and a growing number allow recreational use), the federal government continues to classify it as a Schedule I controlled substance.” This puts it on the same level of danger as drugs such as heroin. The little that is known deters some, but not others, and that is why it is so controversial.

The legalization of medical marijuana is viewed favorably by the American public, though, as the majority of people would support the legalization of medical marijuana. Pros include the relief and treatment of chronic illnesses such as AIDS, certain types of cancers, and multiple sclerosis. It can be a substitute for opioids, which is a serious issue today. Finding safer alternatives to potentially harmful medicines is something marjiuana could provide, and a reason people support it. Also, there have been no reported deaths attributed to the THC itself, making it a safer drug.

For every one person that supports legalization, there is someone against it. Cons include impairment of short term memory, reduced cognitive function, and risk of abuse/addiction. The government “considers these drugs to have no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.” Also, its Schedule I status limits available scientific evidence, so no research can be done. This fear of the unknown is why some are opposed to its legalization. Because, very little is known about it, many politicians are opposed to it as well. Until more research is completed, it will remain a controversial topic in America. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Pros and Cons of Medical Marijuana by Matthew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ben 2 weeks ago

Hello Matthew,
    I really enjoyed reading your article and learning more about such a prevalent topic in today’s world. I found this article about the people who qualify for medical marijuana in Utah to be helpful and also relatable because we live in Utah! https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/medical-marijuana/ut/qualification/ Have a great night!

Ben