Sexual assault is an issue that sometimes seems to have no punishment. Many accounts of men taking advantage of girls and women while unconscious have had no punishment. Then it is even more frustrating when someone is stealing necessities because they cannot survive without them. According to RAINN, out of 1000 sexual assaults, 995 perpetrators will walk free. This is ridiculous, people are taking advantage of others and it seems nothing is being done.

The justice system is a tricky thing. According to SLATE, “Stricter sentencing guidelines, for instance, always hit minorities and disadvantaged people first and hardest.” Yes, everyone should be punished according to their actions, but does this mean that people who may not understand their actions should receive the worst of it. This may change with why they did something, was it because of their clothing, or because they could not fight back? Yes this are terrible reasons to do such action so, in order for a change to happen we must educate everyone on what is happening and how to stop it.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/sexual-assault-rape-sympathy-no-prison.html

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sexual Assault and How it is Addressed in the US by Madelyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.